none
Restarting my Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I recently ran into a problem where I could not access my Home Server. I tried getting in from remote access as well as from local computers with no luck. Instead of hooking up directly to my Home Server I ended up hitting the reset button and now all is running well. My question is does hitting the reset button have any possible side effects or possibility of damaging my server settings and software or is it a safe method to get things back up and running again? If it is not good to hit the reset button what would be the proper way to get it back up? I tried resetting it from the options list in the connector software, I also tried to remote access it and neither of those had any effect. I am not sure why it suddenly had the hiccup but I want to make sure I take care of it right and do not do anything that could corrupt my data. In the 2ish years I have had it I have only had to do this twice, normally is is a solid as a tank. Any advice/input is appreciated.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:48 AM

Answers

• I recently ran into a problem where I could not access my Home Server. I tried getting in from remote access as well as from local computers with no luck. Instead of hooking up directly to my Home Server I ended up hitting the reset button and now all is running well. My question is does hitting the reset button have any possible side effects or possibility of damaging my server settings and software or is it a safe method to get things back up and running again?

I would only do it as a last resort.  Chances are you're ok, but if a file was open at the exact moment of your reset, that file could get corrupted.

If it is not good to hit the reset button what would be the proper way to get it back up?

Remote Desktop Connection to the server desktop.  If that's not possible, a keyboard, mouse and monitor.  If that still doesn't work, the only real option left is to reset/hard shut down.

I tried resetting it from the options list in the connector software, I also tried to remote access it and neither of those had any effect. I am not sure why it suddenly had the hiccup but I want to make sure I take care of it right and do not do anything that could corrupt my data. In the 2ish years I have had it I have only had to do this twice, normally is is a solid as a tank. Any advice/input is appreciated.
    I would suggest looking at the event logs on the server and try to determine what might be causing the problem in the first place.
    • Marked as answer by Anthony V Thursday, January 14, 2010 12:55 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:00 AM