Replacements for Optimizing and backing up data when OneCare goes away RRS feed

• General discussion

• How do I go about finding replacement software for the portions of Live OneCare that is going away...? OneCare just "did it" and I do not want to have to manually (on 3 PCs) do data backups, and Optimization..defrags, etc.
    PerfectSpeed PC Optimizer appears to do the optimization on a scheduled basis, but not backup. (they offer a special price to OneCare customers...smart Marketing)
    What about backup..like what oneCare does of only files that have changed, etc.  I have an external USB drive I used for OneCare Backup and it worked great.
    Searching for a simple replacements that run automatically and going to Windows 7 in not the answer(or is it?)
    Needs some advise and guidean
    Live onecare user
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 9:44 PM

All replies

• Vista or Windows 7 certainly is the easy way. Backup and defrag run on a schedule and disc cleanup can be set as a scheduled task. If you add the free Microsoft Security Essentials when available later this year you have all of the main One Care features covered, and this may have been a factor in the decision to not go forward with One Care.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:19 PM
  • My OneCare expires in 30 days and do not want to take 3 PCs to Windows 7 till "things settle down" with a new OS.  I am a user, not one who wants "leading edge wind burn".  Thus, am in need for a 1 yr solution...even if I have to buy a couple of software solutions.  Is buying another 1yr license to OneCare an option or has it been pulled from Retail?? tx
    Live onecare user
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:30 PM
  • If your subscription is due to expire before MSE is released, you should be getting a free extension to your OneCare subscription. It was a 6 month extension and still may be the same right now. Go to https://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with your subscription LiveID. Click renew and you should see the offer there.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Thank You... I just signed on and did this and YES, it said I get a 6mo free extension, which will give me time to either upgrade to Windows 7 or find another solution.  The actual wording on the renewal webpage for others to see is:
    a Free 6 month extension
    OneCare provides the PC care services you need to stay safe online and keep your home PCs tuned and running smoothly. Because OneCare will be discontinued in late 2010, we are no longer taking renewals. However, since you are a valued OneCare customer, we are extending your subscription for 6 months free of charge. NO ACTION IS REQUIRED. YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL NOT BE CHARGED. You can continue to enjoy the full benefits of OneCare throughout the extended term of your subscription. We will provide information on new options shortly before your subscription expires. Thank you for choosing OneCare. Offer valid in US only
    Live onecare user
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Thanks for confirming. I find the last sentence interesting. I suppose that the wording may differ in other markets. I am not aware of any restriction of the free extension being US based accounts only...
    In any event, glad that you are satisfied with the extension. :-)
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, August 10, 2009 3:48 PM