An error occured while using SSL configuration for socket address RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have WLOC 2.0. I use Vista Ultimate 64-bits.

Everything works fine.

But, when I start my PC, I see this message 20 times in the event log:

An error occured while using SSL configuration for socket address A.B.C.B:6331.  The error status code is contained within the returned data.

where A.B.C.D is a TCP/IP number of my ISP.

A.B.C.D is different for the 20 messages.

I know 6331 is the port used by OneCare.

I see these messages in the event log.

Here are the first lines explaining the event :

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-HttpEvent
    Date:          2007-11-30 09:14:51
    Event ID:      15021
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic

DeviceObject : \Device\Http\ReqQueue

Is there a setting in OneCare to remove these 20 messages?

Thanks a lot!

Friday, November 30, 2007 3:42 PM

Answers

• First of all, you really only need to review the Event Viewer details if there is a problem with the PC that you are attempting to diagnose.

Are you using a wireless connection? I suspect that the entries you see are the result of OneCare attempting to reach your router to verify that it is secure.

No, there is no way to remove these entries or prevent them from being logged until the OneCare team changes the program to stop logging them to the Event logs.

I reviewed my own Vista logs just now and see the entries you refer to only the first two days after I installed 2.0 on this new laptop, when wireless was turned on. The IP address listed is the gateway, or router, not your ISP.

-steve

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:43 PM

All replies

• First of all, you really only need to review the Event Viewer details if there is a problem with the PC that you are attempting to diagnose.

Are you using a wireless connection? I suspect that the entries you see are the result of OneCare attempting to reach your router to verify that it is secure.

No, there is no way to remove these entries or prevent them from being logged until the OneCare team changes the program to stop logging them to the Event logs.

I reviewed my own Vista logs just now and see the entries you refer to only the first two days after I installed 2.0 on this new laptop, when wireless was turned on. The IP address listed is the gateway, or router, not your ISP.

-steve

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:43 PM
  • Hi!

No, I do not use a wireless connection.

No, I do not use a router.

My PC is directly connected to the cable modem.

And I checked again and they are really IP addresses of my ISP.

So, why OneCare send these 20 messages?

What is it checking?

Thanks again!

Saturday, December 1, 2007 1:03 AM
  • If you are directly connected to the mode, then I would imagine it is probing the gateway of your connection which is the ISP. OneCare 2.0 performs a security check of your router, but in your case, with no router, you are directly on the Internet (never a good idea without a very secure firewall in place - OneCare will do...) and OneCare is apparently oblivious to this and simply probes the gateway based on the information it finds in your network information. Had there been a router in place, it would be probing the router to make sure that it was secure.

-steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:57 AM
  • Hi!

Thanks for this information.

You say that OneCare is probing the gateway.

What does it do exactly when it probes the gateway?

Thanks again!

Sunday, December 2, 2007 2:42 AM
  • It is checking to make sure that the router password is not the factory default password. If you have wireless capabilities on the router, it checks to make sure that it is set up with basic security at a minimum.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:58 AM
  • I am having this same problem ... however, I uninstalled OneCare a week ago and these messages still pop up.  Is there a service I should be looking for, to stop?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:44 AM
  •  Beachside wrote:

I am having this same problem ... however, I uninstalled OneCare a week ago and these messages still pop up.  Is there a service I should be looking for, to stop?

If you removed OneCare and still see these messages, the source is likely not OneCare, but to be certain, run the OneCare cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:30 PM
  •  

I have tried changing the default password on the router but I still get this error log on every boot.

I get errors for the router im conencted to and also any that ive connected to in the past.

Ive tried this: http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/687b7b8c-7546-47e0-892f-bb0b95201cbc1033.mspx?mfr=true

but the error simply returns.

any more advice on this topic bar uninstalling onecare.

thanks

An error occured while using SSL configuration for socket address A.B.C.D:6331. The error status code is contained within the returned data.

Where A.B.C.D is my router assigned IP address, other router connections and my VPN.

Dell Inspiron 1720
    Dual Core 7300
    2046MB RAM
    32-BIT Vista Home Premium

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:40 PM
  • I answered your other psot moments ago, and appear to have posted at about the same time as Chuck and your reply. As you can see from the rest of this thread, it is likely to be OneCare's feature of probing the router to insure that it is set up securely.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:15 PM
  • sorry about the double post.

the issue is this: didnt have this error before i installed oneCare.  have tried to uninstall and even used onecarecleaner to ensure all traces were removed. however, the error still persists.

this situation was also reported by another poster on this thread.

additionally, what router security is onecare checking? you mentioned the default password? (changed) anything else?

thanks very much

David

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:02 AM
  • It only checks the default password and also, if the router has wireless capability, that it is secured, too.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:10 PM
  • So, in theory if the router doesn't have the default password and wireless is WEP enabled i shouldn't get the HttpEvent error? i have tried both of these, separately and concurrently.

or will the error occur whatever? 

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:06 PM
  • To the best of my knowledge, David, the errors stem from the check performed by OneCare against the router. In some cases, it causes the error to be logged in the Event Logs. Basically, unless you are having a problem, the information in the Event Logs is just that - information - and can be ignored. It may come in handy for troubleshooting a problem, but much of what gets written to the logs is not important to you and I.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Hello Steve,

I am also getting the same error messages on every reboot. These started to populate the Microsoft Event Viewer System log right after WLOC was updated to v.2

Four  HttpEvent ID 15021 (Error messages) as follows.

An error occurred while using SSL config for socket address: (see details below). The error status code is contained within the returned data.

(192.168.1.34:6331)

(169.254.2.2:6331)

(151.24.79.246:6331)

(151.24.100.42:6331)

Then two Warning Messages as follows:

HttpEvent ID 15300

SSL Certificate Settings deleted for Port: 192.168.1.34:6331

HttpEvent ID 15301

SSL Certificate Settings created by an admin process for port: 192.168.1.34:6331

Since you said there are no settings in OneCare to remove these or to prevent them from being logged, will the upcoming patch address this problem, too?

For your information I am running Vista Ultimate and am using an ADSL/Wi-Fi  Router.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:45 PM
  •  Sinclair2 wrote:

Since you said there are no settings in OneCare to remove these or to prevent them from being logged, will the upcoming patch address this problem, too?

I don't know the answer to this, but I'll see what I can find out.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:34 PM
  • I am also having this same issue and its seems to be slowing down my boot time. is there any fix available I am using onecare live2.0 64bit. It appears from the errors that its checking all my internet connections including those that are not use such as a wireless verizon acct and wifi at home plus my local internet addys

Saturday, March 29, 2008 1:21 AM
  • As you can see, there has been no activity in the thread since January until your post. I am not aware of any fix, but you can check with support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:53 AM
  • Thank you Steve,

I will give it a try and ask Microsoft here in Milan for email support even though I do not expect a favorable outcome.

I will keep you posted.

Regards

Lino

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Good luck and please keep us posted if you do get it solved. In fact, please post back even if support was not able to resolve it and we can try to get other help.

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Steve,

I made three attempts to submit service request, all of them were unsucessful.

Here what happens:

"Please wait. Creating a service request for the issue you submitted..."

Then after a long while that the dotted circle has been spinning

"Contact Technical Support

Error!

We apologize for the inconvenience. There was an error in the submission. Please try again later.

Please visit Windows Live Help or Help community for additional assistance.

What the dickens does this mean ?
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:56 AM
  • Correct version

Steve,

I made three attempts (two last nite and one this morning) to submit service request and all of them were unsuccessful.

Here what happens:

"Please wait. Creating a service request for the issue you submitted..."

Then after a long while that the dotted circle has been spinning

"Contact Technical Support

Error!

We apologize for the inconvenience. There was an error in the submission. Please try again later.

Please visit Windows Live Help or Help community for additional assistance.

What the dickens does this mean?

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 9:29 AM
  • It means that the support form is being a pain for you.

Send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste a link to this thread in the message (or let me know the specifics of the problem in the email). I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:48 PM
  • No one at support could fix this problem and now t seems to be getting worse. Now upon start up I get 55 error messages of this type and it is slowing down boot times dramatically. Is there a fix?

Monday, May 26, 2008 3:09 PM
  •  damndonzi wrote:
    No one at support could fix this problem and now t seems to be getting worse. Now upon start up I get 55 error messages of this type and it is slowing down boot times dramatically. Is there a fix?

Do you have a support case ID? If so, I'll ask for the case to be reviewed. If they were unable to resolve the problem, it should have been escalated.

-steve

Monday, May 26, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Just wanted to add that I have the exact same error message, of course with different IP address.  I think for some reason, even if you uninstall one care, using cleaning tool and uninstall, it leaves files to check the IP.  This is purely my guess, based on the fact that this has occured since installing onecare and continues even after uninstall.

Just the steps I took (steps were taken during two day period):

1. Installed one care on a system that has another commercial internet security program installed. 
    2.  disabled one care and windows Vista firewall, anti virus and spyware programs and kept the another commercial program to do the job.
    3.  Noticed several error and slow down of system and decided to uninstall one care.  Also the annoying "ballon pop-up from one care asking me to enable firewall was just too annoying for my taste" - I can't get the one care to recognize tthe fact that there is another firewall running..
    4.  Used the one care cleanup program after uninstall.

Since taking steps 1-4 is when the error message started to show-up in my event.

if someone could enlighten us with how to get the problem resolved, that ill be great.  Meanwhile let me check my registry and other services that might have left traces of onecare to trigger this errors. 

Sinclair2 wrote:

Hello Steve,

I am also getting the same error messages on every reboot. These started to populate the Microsoft Event Viewer System log right after WLOC was updated to v.2

An error occurred while using SSL config for socket address: (see details below). The error status code is contained within the returned data.

HttpEvent ID 15300

HttpEvent ID 15301

SSL Certificate Settings created by an admin process for port: 192.168.1.34:6331

For your information I am running Vista Ultimate and am using an ADSL/Wi-Fi  Router.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:00 AM
  • The message is due to OneCare's Circle functionality looking to update the status on other PCs in the Circle to a hub machine. If the messages continue to be logged after the removal of OneCare, please contact support for help with this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Found some time to play around with my computer today and I finally managed to get rid of that pesky problem.

First, read my prior posting (see the quote below) and see if you are having similar or same problem.  My problem was after you uninstalled and use Onecare Clean program the error was still;l occurring.  If you still have Onecare installed, this may or may not work (highly likely it will not work).
    Secondly,  this solution will require you to mess around with regedit (registry editor).  If you make a mistake while editing, it will create a lot more headache than what you have, so be warned. 
    Lastly,  Although my problem was resolved and have not had the problem after rebooting at least 10 times and running computer 30 min.  each, this does not mean the solution will work on all the computers out there.   I will not bare any responsibility for mishaps, if any, related to this solution. 

I will try to write simplest possible way for the steps:

1.  Get to regedit (if you do not know what or how to, I would suggest getting help from someone who knows or at least back-up your registry 1st.  Simplest way to get there is input REGEDIT in the run command.  

2.  once you are in Regedit, click on EDIT in the tool bar and go to "FIND". You now need to insert your ip address follow by a port number.  In my case it was 192.XXX.XX.XX:63331   X=denotes IP numbers.

3.  Start the search and it should locate several registry entries with your IP address follow by the port number.  You need to delete those entries.  WARNING... DO NOT DELETE the values with your IP ADDRESS.  Those are not related to Onecare.  The one you are looking for is files with your IP address + port number.  There were two folders, since I have two ip addresses on this comp.

4.  Now go back toi FIND option and insert ONECARE.  There were many left over reg. entries even after my clean, so remove them. 

5.  Now just restart the comp.  1st restart might take few min longer, depending on the comp.  But if you did everything correctly, you should see much improvement after second restart and so forth.  

sorry, I did not save the names of  files I was editing and deleting as I went on and can't provide you with the exact files to delete, but hopefully this will at least help out few folks.  for me, now that its clean-out, the start time is around one minte or so. 

Good Luck.      

legioss wrote:
    Just wanted to add that I have the exact same error message, of course with different IP address.  I think for some reason, even if you uninstall one care, using cleaning tool and uninstall, it leaves files to check the IP.  This is purely my guess, based on the fact that this has occured since installing onecare and continues even after uninstall.

Just the steps I took (steps were taken during two day period):

1. Installed one care on a system that has another commercial internet security program installed. 
    2.  disabled one care and windows Vista firewall, anti virus and spyware programs and kept the another commercial program to do the job.
    3.  Noticed several error and slow down of system and decided to uninstall one care.  Also the annoying "ballon pop-up from one care asking me to enable firewall was just too annoying for my taste" - I can't get the one care to recognize tthe fact that there is another firewall running..
    4.  Used the one care cleanup program after uninstall.

Since taking steps 1-4 is when the error message started to show-up in my event.

if someone could enlighten us with how to get the problem resolved, that ill be great.  Meanwhile let me check my registry and other services that might have left traces of onecare to trigger this errors. 

Sinclair2 wrote:

Hello Steve,

HttpEvent ID 15300

HttpEvent ID 15301

Sunday, July 20, 2008 6:28 AM
  • I use OneCare on all my machines and started receiving this problem when my HP 6480 networked printer lost its network information.  I am using wireless on my PCs and the HP 6480 has a wireless connection.  When I would get the 63331 port "event" on my OneCare hub machine, it would keep dropping my wireless connection and resetting it multiple times a minute as it cleared the SSL certs.  I assumed the reason I could not print was because my wireless connection on my PC kept getting dropped. 

When I turned off the wireless on the HP 6480, I stopped getting the dropped connections and 63331 port events on my OneCare hub machine.  I then reset the wireless connections for the HP printer, connecting it to the secure router and everything was fine.  No more 63331 entries on my OneCare hub.

HP does state that if you have networking enabled on your printer and it is not set up correctly, it will create havoc on your network.  Mine did.  I don't know why the HP networking went haywire.  Restarting the printer did not fix it.  I had to set up the connection and WPA key all over again on the HP Printer.  This was my solution.  I hope it helps someone.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Thanks for sharing, HashKeyLime.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, October 5, 2009 3:25 PM