Defraging individual drives by choice like XP used to do. RRS feed

• Question

• How do I defrag individual drives of my choice. I do not like the Tune-up feature in that I no longer seem to be able to select which drive I wish to defrag.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:11 PM

Answers

• Simply go into Computer Management (Control Panel, Administrative Tools) and perform the manual defragmentation there, as you always have.

OneCare doesn't change any of the built-in utilities of Windows, it simply automates some of them during a Tune-up. Since it purposefully has as few controls as possible, it doesn't include any direct access to these system tools themselves.

OneCareBear

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:38 PM

All replies

• Simply go into Computer Management (Control Panel, Administrative Tools) and perform the manual defragmentation there, as you always have.

OneCare doesn't change any of the built-in utilities of Windows, it simply automates some of them during a Tune-up. Since it purposefully has as few controls as possible, it doesn't include any direct access to these system tools themselves.

OneCareBear

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:38 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, but it doesn;t solve my problem. Once I highlight the external (in this case) drive I wish to defrag through tools etc, I get the same old OneCare window and it starts defraging the C drive...and I guess the external drive later. I want the capability I had in Xp to defrag only one drive of my choice. Am I missing something. Thanks.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:37 PM
  • Are you using Vista? There is no access to Defrag from within OneCare except by executing a Tune-up.

In Vista, you open Windows Explorer, right click the drive, select properties, Tools, Defragment and then select the volumes you wish to Defrag.

You may want to read this - http://www.thegline.com/windows/2006/11/about-vista-defrags-sudden-los.html

-steve

Saturday, December 22, 2007 3:19 AM