none
File transfer not enough room despite server storage saying there is enough RRS feed

• Question

• OK im trying to transfer a couple large folders, one being 900gb another being around 600.  I have two disks on my server atm, one being 320gb the other 1.5tb.  Now i Clearly have enough space to transfer at leaset one folder yet it says i dont have enough space.  Ill get copy folder prompt saying "there is not enough space on Videos. you need an aditional 207gb to copy these files."

Im thinking its either not detecting my second hdd (the first 320 has WHS installed) or for some reason its not allowing me to write to that disk.  this doesnt make much sence seeing as according to server storage both drives are healthy and my free space is at 1.62tb.  

It almost sounds like its not letting me utilize my second drive.  I cant seem to figure out how to get it all going.

Thanks
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:16 AM

Answers

• there are two intigrated ethernet ports on the mobo.  i disabled the local area connection button on the toolbar.

I just realized you said, "Like i said above, no clients are able to talk to the router see it and the server itself wont connect to any webpages"  (sorry I should have been paying more attention).

I assume then since your clients can't talk to the router, you mean that none of your computers (clients and server) can get on the internet then?  If so, please try resetting the router.  Also, please post the ipconfig /all from both your server and one of your clients (and local IP addresses and subnet masks don't need to be blocked out in your pics, they are almost always 192.168.x.x which is standard for internal IP addressing).  Also, it would be better to post the text output of the command than the actual pics.

Monday, August 10, 2009 6:18 AM

All replies

• Are you running WHS Power Pack 2? I ask as there was a fix in PP2 that meant you were not actually copying files via the landing zone and instead copying direct to the storage pool.

Also, do you have folder duplication enabled for the folder you are copying to? If so, turn it off as you will actually be copying 1800gb and 1200gb due to the duplication.

Andrew
    MVP - Windows Home Server http://usingwindowshomeserver.com
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Alright well downloaded some updates, im not sure if it got power pack two but once i reset the computer to see if everything was up and running it kicks me off the internet. ive seemingly got no connection between my WHS and the router. ive reset the connection, tried repairing released/renewed the connection via the command executable changed my firewall settings but to no avail.

I have a couple questions: 
    how do i check what power pack WHS is running?
    is there a mirror site i can download the patch and install it manualy? 
    and how can i reestablish a connection? 

it was working just before installing the updates. all together this is becomming quite a frustrating little project though suppose i shouldnt be surprised WHS has bugs glitches and stability ive come to expect from a windows product. trying to remedy one problem has created 3 others.

any i could really use some help :D 

Thanks
    • Edited by Bannhammer Monday, August 10, 2009 12:47 AM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Alright well downloaded some updates, im not sure if it got power pack two but once i reset the computer to see if everything was up and running it kicks me off the internet. ive seemingly got no connection between my WHS and the router. ive reset the connection, tried repairing released/renewed the connection via the command executable changed my firewall settings but to no avail.

I have a couple questions: 
    how do i check what power pack WHS is running?

Open the Console.  Click on the Settings button, Resources tab.  Then post all of the component numbers here.

is there a mirror site i can download the patch and install it manualy? 

No.
    and how can i reestablish a connection?

That depends on why your server can no longer connect.  Can you get to any website from your server?  If not, can any of your clients get to any website?  If so, please run ipconfig /all on both the server and the client that does connect, then post the results here.

it was working just before installing the updates. all together this is becomming quite a frustrating little project though suppose i shouldnt be surprised WHS has bugs glitches and stability ive come to expect from a windows product. trying to remedy one problem has created 3 others.

any i could really use some help :D 

Thanks

Monday, August 10, 2009 5:07 AM
  • well its is pp2, i dont know what it was before i lost connection but i can only hope it was pp1.  none of my other computers can see the server.  i have lights a Go-Go on both the router and mobo.

Here are my settings:

http://yfrog.com/13settingsp

and this is my internet conflict:

http://yfrog.com/5ainternetconnj

Like i said above, no clients are able to talk to the router see it and the server itself wont connect to any webpages. i have two ethernet cables connected to both the router and mobo and there is seemingly activity. i think there must be something like a firewall blocking it.

anyway thanks for being responsive and helpfull

THanks again

**the links are for screenshots, forum pics dont seem to work. but they are everythign youve asked for.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:30 AM
  • well its is pp2, i dont know what it was before i lost connection but i can only hope it was pp1.  none of my other computers can see the server.  i have lights a Go-Go on both the router and mobo.

Here are my settings:

http://yfrog.com/13settingsp

FYI, you are still missing one WHS update (which you should be able to get once the internet connectivity is resolved).

and this is my internet conflict:

http://yfrog.com/5ainternetconnj

Using 2 NICS on WHS is unsupported.  Try disabling one and see if it helps.

Like i said above, no clients are able to talk to the router see it and the server itself wont connect to any webpages. i have two ethernet cables connected to both the router and mobo and there is seemingly activity. i think there must be something like a firewall blocking it.

anyway thanks for being responsive and helpfull

THanks again

**the links are for screenshots, forum pics dont seem to work. but they are everythign youve asked for.

Monday, August 10, 2009 5:58 AM
  • im getting the error:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
    renewing your IP address

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.

As ive mentioned above ive tried releasing/renewing with ipconfig under cmd.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:03 AM
  • im getting the error:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
    renewing your IP address

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.

As ive mentioned above ive tried releasing/renewing with ipconfig under cmd.

Did you disable one of your NICs like I suggested?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:04 AM
  • there are two intigrated ethernet ports on the mobo.  i disabled the local area connection button on the toolbar.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:07 AM
  • heres an ss to hopefully clear things up

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3928/internets.png

I just realized you said, "Like i said above, no clients are able to talk to the router see it and the server itself wont connect to any webpages"  (sorry I should have been paying more attention).

I assume then since your clients can't talk to the router, you mean that none of your computers (clients and server) can get on the internet then?  If so, please try resetting the router.  Also, please post the ipconfig /all from both your server and one of your clients (and local IP addresses and subnet masks don't need to be blocked out in your pics, they are almost always 192.168.x.x which is standard for internal IP addressing).  Also, it would be better to post the text output of the command than the actual pics.

• oh no, the other computers are connected to the router and are able to connect to the internet and eachother, the server is the only thing that wont.  but you did bring up something simple i definatly should ahve tried a long time ago which is resetting the router.... and that seems to have solved the connection problem, now lets see if i can xfer large files... and it WORKS!! thanks very much good sir Kariya21

in a mere 13 hours one of the folders should be on the server

So for anyone who is having trouble moving large folders to WHS just make suer everything is updated.

Id just like to thank you one more time for struggling through this with me Kariya!
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:26 AM