none
How to Recover a Deleted Account in Microsoft Money RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

I accidentally deleted my Visa Card Account in my List. Please help how to recover it!

Thanks.

FarhadM

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:43 AM

All replies

• Save your most recent backups (*.mbf) now by copying your *.mbf files to another place. DO NOT CLOSE MONEY until you do that if you have it open and you have Money set to automatically back up upon exit.

After you have done that, restore your newest or second newest or third newest backup until you find one with what you need.

If you need help with that, tell us what version of Money you are using.

If you have no suitable backup, you will create the account again. You may be able to download your latest transactions by use of PocketSense. If that is new to you, I suspect you will like it once you figure out how to use it.  Also review your backup policies.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:51 AM
  • Thank you!

I am using MS Money 2005 & do have a back-up where I can see the deleted file & I can open it. But how would I copy it or transfer it or even export it to where all my accounts is ?Account List Please!

Regards.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:42 AM
  • I infer that you don't want to just restore the backup because you have made changes since that backup that you want to change.

In that case you would restore the backup, but be careful to not take the default remembered filename. Instead Browse to your Documents folder and restore to a different name, such as Temp.mny. Then open Temp.mny, and do a loose QIF export of the credit card file. Then open your newer Money file with the newer info (you can used the list at the bottom of the File dropdown). Then File->Import that QIF file as a new or recovered account.

Go back and change the payments to transfers from checking. Delete/void any duplicates for the payments in the checking account.

You should figure out a backup policy where you have multiple versions of backup files. Also have backups on different media in case your hard drive fails. Consider storing some backups to the cloud, such as Onedrive, to provide some off-site backups.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:51 AM