One-Click Publish for web app deployment receives 404 error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I'm not sure if this is a proper forum, but it's the best fit I can find.

I'm trying to use the one-click publish for web application project deployment, but got an 404 error. I'm using my 64-bit Windows 7 as both the development machine and the server, which has IP as 192.168.1.66:80. I have IIS up and hosting another web site project successfully, Web Deploy 2.x installed, and checked with Services that "Web Deployment Agent Service" is started. On the Publish Web wizard, I have the following settings:

Service URL: http://192.168.1.66:80/WebApp/Default.aspx

Site/application: Default Web Site/WebApp_deploy

The whole message is listed here:

Web deployment task failed.(Could not connect to the destination computer ("192.168.1.66"). On the destination computer, make sure that Web Deploy is installed and that the required process ("Web Deployment Agent Service") is started.)
    The requested resource does not exist, or the requested URL is incorrect.
    Error details:
    Could not connect to the destination computer ("192.168.1.66"). On the destination computer, make sure that Web Deploy is installed and that the required process ("Web Deployment Agent Service") is started.
    The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.  0 0 WebApp

So, what could be the problem?

Thanks,

Jay

• Moved by Barry Wang Wednesday, February 8, 2012 2:44 AM ASP.NET issue (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 4:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As you said that the Web Deployment Agent Service is started but please check that you have the WMSvc Service (Web Management Service) set to 'Auto' (and started) so it's on when you restart & check out this link http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/516/configure-the-web-deployment-handler/

Please revert with feedback and more details after you implement above said solution.

Please mark as answer if it helps you or unpropose as answer if it does not help you.

Thanks

Rehan Bharucha - The Tech Robot

MCTS, MCITP, MCPD, MCT, MCC

• Edited by REHAN BHARUCHA Sunday, February 5, 2012 1:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by jaybright Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:28 PM
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As you said that the Web Deployment Agent Service is started but please check that you have the WMSvc Service (Web Management Service) set to 'Auto' (and started) so it's on when you restart & check out this link http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/516/configure-the-web-deployment-handler/

Please revert with feedback and more details after you implement above said solution.

Please mark as answer if it helps you or unpropose as answer if it does not help you.

Thanks

Rehan Bharucha - The Tech Robot

MCTS, MCITP, MCPD, MCT, MCC

• Edited by REHAN BHARUCHA Sunday, February 5, 2012 1:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by jaybright Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:28 PM
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Thanks Rehan for your reply. I'm following the link to configure the server first, and then get back to you.

Monday, February 6, 2012 2:35 AM