none
New Horizons? RRS feed

• Question

• Have any of you guys taken courses at/from New Horizons?

http://www.newhorizons.com/content/index.aspx

If so, what were your experiences? Do you think they represent a good investment? I've read a number of online horror stories, esp. saying that they just take your money and provide very sub-standard instruction.

I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone who did their courses via the "Mentored Learning" or "Online ANYTIME" approaches.

Would it make more sense just to buy well-esteemed courses books like the Meyers one for A+ and do the courses self-study, spending a lot more time than the 5-10 days of many NH courses?

Thanks for your input :)
    Monday, June 7, 2010 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Ed,

Please let us know which version of MSFT  technology / certification you are planing? This will help us to guide you properly.

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Hi Ed,

You have a lot of knowledge work ahead of you. Please considered that you have to memorize many facts and technologies. On COMPTIA you can buy books from many editors. Please verify the exam that you're pointing and look for the book. You may look at Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon and the like. You can take a ILT (Instructor Lead Training) and it'll give more experience.

On Microsoft Technologies, try to point higher and develop yourself toward MCITP, maybe as a Enterprise Administrator. On the desktop professional side there's a lot of work. Windows XP is a product that have a lot of users but is approaching to the end of support from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps . Besides, sooner than later you'll begin to have problems with devices, like USBs, Video, Net cards that'll have no drivers or vendor support. So moving to Windows 7 makes sense (please see Application Compatibility on Windows 7). Never discard the server side, where the heavyweight administrators are. So working on Windows 2008 makes a lot of sense in developing your career.

I suggest you,

COMPTIA A+

COMPTIA Network+

COMPTIA Server+ to know about Server Technologies

Microsoft Official Course (ILT) 6419a: Configuring, Managing and Maintaining Windows Server 2008 Servers

Microsoft Official Course (ILT) 6492A: 6292A: Installing and Configuring Windows 7 Client

Please take a look at : http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/view-by-technology.aspx

Enjoy yourself

Follow the path that you feel best for you on

Just begining
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Hello,

I have taken several New Horizon courses and each one was different because each instructor will be different.

Cisco Swith/Router config (CCNA prep)- took this course about 2 years ago and would say 5 days of cramming information even with the best instructor hardly prepares one for the CCNA exam. Maybe years ago when the CCNA exam was a breeze to pass,  but not today. However, the instructor (a woman who's name I cannot remember) was brilliant. She was so patient and helpful with all the students and was willing to work thru breaks and lunch with whomever wanted to. She was the real deal no question.

Now another course where the instructor was lazy and not into the class at all was a .NET introduction course I took there. It was way over my head and I am not sure why they suggested this course for me anyway. 5 days away from work with free lunches was all that week was good for.

Then I won a course: Adobe CS2 design blah blah course, the course was a blast. Instructor was great and had us all loving everyday of the class.

All my courses were taken at the Chicago/Cumberland location near Rosemont, IL. Facilities were top notch, newer equipment, plenty of processor speed/RAM in the computers. Underground parking, plenty of places to go to lunch near by. I would recommend, Bacci's Pizza on Lawrence for the "Jumbo Slice and drink" for $4. I think I ate there 3 days out of the 5.

I have taken several IT courses from other places such as Global Knowledge, CompuMaster, LearningTree Intl too. I think most of them are pretty much the same. I would go with the place that offers the best pricing package for you/your company. I called several asking if I could attend a freebie course just to check the place out and was able to sit through a couple 2 day courses for free for evaluation purposes. If I had to pick one that I favored more then the others I guess I would say Learning Tree Intl. Only because they scheduled breaks more often and when looking at screen hours on end your eyes do need a break. They would do like a 45 min module, then break where some of the others did 2hr modules or more, then took a break.

Hope this helps out.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed,

Please let us know which version of MSFT  technology / certification you are planing? This will help us to guide you properly.

Sachin Shetty| MCP|MCTS|MCITP| Please remember to mark the replies as answers and Vote as helpful if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.Thank you in advance.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

I'm planning to do (in order):

1) CompTIA A+

2) CompTIA Network+

3) 70-271 (= MCP)

4) 70-680, Windows 7 Configuring (= MCTS )

5) 70-685 (=MCITP, focus: Enterprise Desktop Support Tech. 7)

I might also consider 70-270 - not sure if that makes sense?

Helpdesk of Win XP and/or Win7 is what I'll shoot for first. Or junior PC support tech (not sure there's much difference between these two). But I'm also very interested in the hardware support/repair and system-building side.

If things go well for me and I get certifications and get an entry-level career, I might later start thinking of looking more at the server/networking side, as well as applications support.

Thanks for your thoughts.

*edited at 16.51, because I missed out 4) - sorry.

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Hi Ed,

You have a lot of knowledge work ahead of you. Please considered that you have to memorize many facts and technologies. On COMPTIA you can buy books from many editors. Please verify the exam that you're pointing and look for the book. You may look at Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon and the like. You can take a ILT (Instructor Lead Training) and it'll give more experience.

On Microsoft Technologies, try to point higher and develop yourself toward MCITP, maybe as a Enterprise Administrator. On the desktop professional side there's a lot of work. Windows XP is a product that have a lot of users but is approaching to the end of support from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps . Besides, sooner than later you'll begin to have problems with devices, like USBs, Video, Net cards that'll have no drivers or vendor support. So moving to Windows 7 makes sense (please see Application Compatibility on Windows 7). Never discard the server side, where the heavyweight administrators are. So working on Windows 2008 makes a lot of sense in developing your career.

I suggest you,

COMPTIA A+

COMPTIA Network+

COMPTIA Server+ to know about Server Technologies

Microsoft Official Course (ILT) 6419a: Configuring, Managing and Maintaining Windows Server 2008 Servers

Microsoft Official Course (ILT) 6492A: 6292A: Installing and Configuring Windows 7 Client

Please take a look at : http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/view-by-technology.aspx

Enjoy yourself

Follow the path that you feel best for you on

Just begining
    Monday, June 7, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Hello,

I have taken several New Horizon courses and each one was different because each instructor will be different.

Cisco Swith/Router config (CCNA prep)- took this course about 2 years ago and would say 5 days of cramming information even with the best instructor hardly prepares one for the CCNA exam. Maybe years ago when the CCNA exam was a breeze to pass,  but not today. However, the instructor (a woman who's name I cannot remember) was brilliant. She was so patient and helpful with all the students and was willing to work thru breaks and lunch with whomever wanted to. She was the real deal no question.

Now another course where the instructor was lazy and not into the class at all was a .NET introduction course I took there. It was way over my head and I am not sure why they suggested this course for me anyway. 5 days away from work with free lunches was all that week was good for.

Then I won a course: Adobe CS2 design blah blah course, the course was a blast. Instructor was great and had us all loving everyday of the class.

All my courses were taken at the Chicago/Cumberland location near Rosemont, IL. Facilities were top notch, newer equipment, plenty of processor speed/RAM in the computers. Underground parking, plenty of places to go to lunch near by. I would recommend, Bacci's Pizza on Lawrence for the "Jumbo Slice and drink" for $4. I think I ate there 3 days out of the 5.

I have taken several IT courses from other places such as Global Knowledge, CompuMaster, LearningTree Intl too. I think most of them are pretty much the same. I would go with the place that offers the best pricing package for you/your company. I called several asking if I could attend a freebie course just to check the place out and was able to sit through a couple 2 day courses for free for evaluation purposes. If I had to pick one that I favored more then the others I guess I would say Learning Tree Intl. Only because they scheduled breaks more often and when looking at screen hours on end your eyes do need a break. They would do like a 45 min module, then break where some of the others did 2hr modules or more, then took a break.

Hope this helps out.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:32 PM
  •  Side note: Some certifications do require "AUTHORIZED TRAINING" case in point, "VCP" certification. Now in this case Global Knowledge offers VMware Authorized training for the VCP certification, but Learning Tree Intl. does not. Learning Tree has plenty of courses very similar, but that will not help you when you want to write the VCP exam.

You may want to verify what all the certification requirements are before spending your hard earned mula.

Have a great one... (0) (o)

>

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:41 PM