Networked Drive can not be accessed - Current user does not have write permissions RRS feed

• Question

•  

Running Beta 2.0.2318.12 WLOC on XP Pro SP2

I am on a merry-go-round I can not start a backup to my networked Ethernet Lacie EDmini disc, I used to be able to when it was USB connected, but now I have configured it as a network drive I can not seem to set the permissions no matter whether I log in as Admin or just a user. Any ideas?

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Try setting it up in OneCare by using its IP address rather than the Share name - \\nnn.nnn.nnn.n\path\ . That's worked for some people, apparently.

-steve

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:02 PM
  • I tried this but get the message 'The current user does not have write permissions. Please provide read and write permissions to Everyone and then try again'

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:36 PM
  • I assume that you can write to the drive from Windows Explorer, but OneCare is complaining about not being able to write to the drive. If so, then I'd contact support and file a bug.

Support for 2.0 Beta - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

Please file a bug on Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:20 AM
  • Hi Steve,

It seems I don't have access through Windows Explorer, I checked with LaCie and they said "If you have formatted the drive as NTFS then the drive will be read only" so I need to reformat the drive into EXT 3 or FAT 32 format, then I will try Back up with LiveOneCare again.

Regards

John 

Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:21 PM
  • That's strange, but do keep us posted.

-steve

Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:21 AM
  • I can not easily reformat the disc without storing 100Gb of disc! So instead of using my external drive as a networked drive I am using it through the USB port plugged into my PC. tried backing up my desktop to this using Live OneCare but it takes forever and times out. My latest tack is to plug the drive into the USB port on whichever PC I want to back up. Live onecare will not let me change from a networked external drive to a local one!

Monday, September 17, 2007 8:03 PM
  • John, after hooking up the drive as a local USB are you starting a new backup and changing the settings to write to the local drive?

-steve

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:22 AM
  • Yes I try to start a new back up, WLOC scans my files then comes up with a screen asking me to connect to a networked disk that is no longer network connected. If I go into the WLOC change settings and click on 'Backup'  the 'Network Backup' section is telling me  tells me I am currently backing up to a network drive. If I click on 'Change credentials' I get a pop up message telling me there is another session connected to the network share. If I click on 'Close session' I get the message 'could not close the active connection to the network share. If I try to 'Configure backup' I get the screen with Backup plan for all PCs, I click on 'change settings', then choose the PC and try to set up a backup plan, but 'Network Share' is highlighted  I click on 'Change location' I can see the external hard drive but also the non existant network drive (there is no option to delete it) I select the external hard drive click next and then 'Save' but still the WLOC 'Backup' page shows me backing up to the non existant networked drive :-(

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:43 AM
  •  
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:00 AM
  • John:

I'm not familiar with the LaCie device that you have, but if it was configured as Network Attached Storage and used to copy data to it, the disk may already be formatted for the embedded Linux OS.

Attaching it to your computer via USB may or may not work. When you do this, can you see the files on the disk in Windows Explorer? If not, then you will not be able to use this disk as an external USB until you reformat the drive.

I'm not sure if I understand what LaCie tech support is saying and why they think it is formatted as NTFS, but I'll assume that it might be, which would confirm that read only issue when it is set up as a NAS device. However, for you to have copied data to it, I'm thinking it can't be read only...which brings us back to why OneCare can't write to it when it is set as an NAS device.

The next issue is the inability to change the settings in OneCare backup. I don't have OneCare 2.0 in front of me to describe the steps to make this change, but I seem to recall it was more convoluted than it should be in the interface.

I am going to refer you back to one of my earlier replies - open a support case via email with OneCare support and file a bug on Connect for the original issue - inability to write to the drive with OneCare when it is on the LAN as an NAS device - make sure you *can* write to it from Windows Explorer or with the LaCie interface (whatever software they provide).

Alternatively, contact support via email to get help with how to change the OneCare 2.0 backup destination - again, assuming that you can write to the drive in Windows Explorer when it is attached as a USB drive.

-steve

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I have filed a bug report as suggested. The history goes like this:

Originally the External Hard drive was formatted in FAT/32 and I had it USB connected to my Lap top but the drive this has a file limitation of 4 Gb and that is a problem. I reformatted it to NTFS format and then later tried using it as a networked drive with WLOC as part of Verion 2.0 WLOC beta test, but you know that is now a problem as it is 'read' only over the network. Now I have plugged the External drive into a USB port, I can copy files from the laptop to the External drive, and carry out a backup using WLOC. When I plug the External drive into the USB port on the desktop I can not back up as WLOC seems to have locked it into a networked drive and will not let me change.

Regards

John

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Thanks for the additional history. So, the fact that you can indeed write to the drive from Windows explorer when it is connected directly is a good thing. What we are left with is the inability to configure this USB External drive as the backup destination because OneCare was previously configured to write to the drive when configured as an NAS drive.

Thanks also for filing the bug. I suspect that it isn't a technical problem, but a terrible interface, but I could be wrong. I know when I played with the backup settings, it was an odd flow.

Hopefully someone will step in to outline the steps needed to reconfigure the backup as OneCare should not care that your drive was once an NAS drive and is now a USB connected drive. By changing the backup location, you will be starting a brand new backup sequence, with the first one being a fresh backup no matter what backups may already exist on that drive, if any. My test machine is not with me at the office for 2.0 and I have limited time in the evenings this week, but if nobody else responds, I'll walk through the scenario to see what I can duplicate what you are seeing.

-steve

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:10 PM