Humour me please.............. RRS feed

• Question

• ............can someone please give me a dummies guide to accessing data from my home server using a client pc - as whenever i seem to try and access the console from the client i get the KERNAL_DATA error as mentioned on previous post. I just want to check that i am not bein a complete numpty!
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:54 PM

Answers

• Your data won't be available through the console, only through the server shares. But that other thread indicates that you may have a serious hardware issue. If you need to get at the files on your server, but your server won't boot or won't stay running long enough without that sort of error, you can follow the instructions in this FAQ.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

• Your data won't be available through the console, only through the server shares. But that other thread indicates that you may have a serious hardware issue. If you need to get at the files on your server, but your server won't boot or won't stay running long enough without that sort of error, you can follow the instructions in this FAQ.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

The server itself is fine - I am not running it headless yet.
    The server is fine at accessing the files and moving files ect and general running.
    The issue I get is when I try and access teh server through my pc next to the server to access some files - thats when it shuts the Server down with the KERNAL error
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 7:29 AM
  • can anyone shed any light on this?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:18 AM
  • My suggestion, as stated in the other thread you referenced at the start of this one, is to try installing a PCI network interface card to see if that's the cause of your issues. To do so, you would install the new card and drivers, and disable the (onboard?) NIC in your BIOS or Device Manager.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Im sorry Ken, I missed that post, I will try what you have suggested later and post back tomorrow

Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:09 AM