Start program as a sevice ( RemoteByMail) RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed RemoteByMail (Runtime Software) on my windows home server. It works very well ad it's a very useful program.
    I have a problem when I try to start this program on windows start up. I tried to start this program as a service but It doesn't start.
    I tried also to add a task into windows home server at system startup but it doesn't start. I don't know why It doesn't work. Is It so difficult to start a program with windows startup? How can I start a program automatically when whs console startup? I won’t to start a program log me into the server.
    Thank you.
    Luca

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:33 PM

Answers

• This is the Windows Home Server forum; you should consult the author of RemoteByMail for assistance with it. 

That said, from a brief reading of the documentation you may not be able to use it without logging in to your server. It appears that this software is not designed to run as a service under Windows. You could conceivably use tools from the Windows NT Resource Kit to load it as a service instead of as a user program on the desktop, but if it has any interface requirements to function (i.e. every time it runs it asks questions or requires responses from the end user), you will not be able to run it as a service in the Windows Home Server environment.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:00 PM

All replies

• This is the Windows Home Server forum; you should consult the author of RemoteByMail for assistance with it. 

That said, from a brief reading of the documentation you may not be able to use it without logging in to your server. It appears that this software is not designed to run as a service under Windows. You could conceivably use tools from the Windows NT Resource Kit to load it as a service instead of as a user program on the desktop, but if it has any interface requirements to function (i.e. every time it runs it asks questions or requires responses from the end user), you will not be able to run it as a service in the Windows Home Server environment.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:00 PM
  • I use a program called RunAsSvc, it runs my media server program and although totally not supported on home server works for me.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:58 PM
  • You are fabulous !!!! With runassvc everything goes well.....before I tried anyserviceinstaller...but It didn't go
     Thank you.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:35 PM