Apple Bootcamp - dual booting Windows 7 or 8 - what version of Windows do I need for this? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client who has an Apple PC and wants to dual boot Windows using Boot Camp.  It was my understanding that I would need a retail copy of Windows to do this, but my distributor tells me that I can use an OEM copy.  Which version do I need?

Thanks,

Thane

Thursday, November 20, 2014 2:40 PM

Answers

• The reason that the rules state a Retail copy is required is that OEM licenses cannot be moved between computers, and are supposed to be installed by the manufacturer, rather than the user.

However, this rule has been observed very little, at least as far as the manufacturer install is concerned.

Retail copies of Windows 7 haven't been available from MS at all since the launch date of Windows 8 back in 2012 - and new copies are almost impossible to find (99% of such offers for sale will be counterfeits). OEM versions are available currently, and will work and activate OK - but will be locked to the Apple involved permanently, and cannot be moved even if the Apple dies 10 minutes after Windows activation.

As far as Windows 8.1 is concerned, then I would go with the Full version - the price differential isn't as big as it was with Windows 7 (pretty much the same reasoning applies - OEM licenses cannot be moved, while Full ones can).

The next question is what the client wants to do with Windows - i.e. does he need Windows 8.1 Pro rather than the core edition? You'll have to discuss that with him.

Hope that helps?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:20 PM

All replies

• The reason that the rules state a Retail copy is required is that OEM licenses cannot be moved between computers, and are supposed to be installed by the manufacturer, rather than the user.

However, this rule has been observed very little, at least as far as the manufacturer install is concerned.

Retail copies of Windows 7 haven't been available from MS at all since the launch date of Windows 8 back in 2012 - and new copies are almost impossible to find (99% of such offers for sale will be counterfeits). OEM versions are available currently, and will work and activate OK - but will be locked to the Apple involved permanently, and cannot be moved even if the Apple dies 10 minutes after Windows activation.

As far as Windows 8.1 is concerned, then I would go with the Full version - the price differential isn't as big as it was with Windows 7 (pretty much the same reasoning applies - OEM licenses cannot be moved, while Full ones can).

The next question is what the client wants to do with Windows - i.e. does he need Windows 8.1 Pro rather than the core edition? You'll have to discuss that with him.

Hope that helps?

Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:20 PM

That does help, thanks.  However, I'm wondering from Microsoft's point of view (I want to follow the proper MS rules on this).  I know there are a lot of shady shops that are happy to install OEM (or even pirated) versions of software, but I'm not one of them. :)

Does MS monitor these forums, or should I call them directly?

Thanks,

Thane

Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:04 PM
  • I have seen no 'official' MS presence in this forum for the past 18 months or more - which is not to say that they are unmonitored.

I can also state pretty categorically that MS will NOT state any 'official' position other than what appears in the OEM license. As far as I am aware the 'manufacturer install' clause gets invoked one in a blue sun (let alone a blue moon) - and I am aware of official MS reps recommending OEM licenses for a number of reasons which seem to me to be outside the Terms & Conditions that are on paper.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:39 PM