CRM 2011 Workflow query RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have the below scenario, any help would be greatly appreciated. In my accounts entity, I need to create a workflow which will basically search for a reference number from an entity and then change the status of the record. This needs to be automated. For example, I receive an email of correspondence from my supplier who would like to update me on my order, when the email arrives I need the reference number from the subject of the email, to then trigger a child workflow to search my accounts entity and then update the status of the record.

I look forward to hearing your response/s.

Many Thanks

Sam

Thursday, August 1, 2013 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can search a custom entity in workflow for sure as long as it is in 1:N or 1:1 relationship to the entity where you are running the workflow. Updating a picklist value is for sure something that can be done in workflow.

Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Minal Dahiya

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"<input id="12f37fe7-d082-47c0-9b2a-d7156f45d566_attachments" type="hidden" value="" />                
    • Marked as answer by samrr1875 Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:40 AM
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:21 PM

All replies

• when following up(sending email) with order,make sure the subject\body\regarding contains the order id so that user when replying will have the order id (incoming email).  

U need a plugin\custom workflow on email create... get the subject id from emailsubject\body\regarding and query with that to get the account(customer)...   then modify changes...

limitation ...if user modifies subject\body... 

Thanks & Regards

Vijji

• Edited by Vijji MSL Friday, August 2, 2013 6:42 AM
    Friday, August 2, 2013 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

It is best to do this in custom workflow activity. You can use workflow for other things like send email etc and for the part where you need to search relevant order based on subject line, you can write custom workflow activity.

Hope this helps.

Minal Dahiya

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"

Friday, August 2, 2013 6:55 AM
  • Hi Minal

Thanks for your swift response, additionally can you use a standard  workflow to search a custom entity for a particular value, then update a picklist. For example, I need to search ABC entity for field reference: ABC1234, then set the picklist to "Test Update".

Friday, August 2, 2013 12:00 PM
  • You can also do this in a plugin, if you are comfortable with that level of customization of CRM.  Otherwise a custom workflow activity.  I have a plugin that checks incoming email (Email Create message) and take some specific actions based on the regarding field.
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:21 AM
  • Hi,

You can search a custom entity in workflow for sure as long as it is in 1:N or 1:1 relationship to the entity where you are running the workflow. Updating a picklist value is for sure something that can be done in workflow.

Hope this helps.

Minal Dahiya

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Vote as Helpful"<input id="12f37fe7-d082-47c0-9b2a-d7156f45d566_attachments" type="hidden" value="" />                
    • Marked as answer by samrr1875 Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:40 AM
    Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:21 PM