none
Importing a Set of Road Segments RRS feed

• Question

• I have an excel file containing begin and end coordinates (lat, long) of road damages that I want to import into S&T. I would like to highlight the road segments that had been damaged on S&T as an attachment to my report. There are abut 80 segments, ranging from couple tenths of a mile to few miles in length. I can easily import begin point and end point and give each a different symbol, but I want to S&T to automatically connect the points following the road. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:56 PM

All replies

• Yes.  But bear in mind that S&T will only deal with one route, or in your case one segment, at a time.  This is how you would do it.

1 - Import the coordinates into S&T, I assume you know how to do that.

2 - Open a new completely blank file, without closing your first file, and arrange them as side-by-side windows on your desktop.

3 - Go to the Legend and overview panel of the file that has the coordinates and pick a pair of coordinates representing the start and end of a segment of interest and copy those onto the virgin file window.  You can click and drag them or do ctrl-c and ctrl-v.  No precision is required when pasting - S&T will drop them to the 'right' place

4 - Now you will have two pushpins on your newer map.  Go to the Legend and overview of that map and click on the new pushpin sets ("My pushpins") and right-click on it.  Select "Add pushpins as stops" and click. 

5 - Now go to the Route planner panel and you should see two stops (and only two stops - one after a green box and one after a red box).  Click get directions and it will connect the dots. 

6 - You can now print that (zooming in to whatever level you prefer) or copy it.

• Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Thanks. I will give it a try.
    Don Flowers
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Another, perhaps simpler, way is as follows.

1 - Import the coordinates as above.

2 - Click on one of the pushpins for your segment, right-click and select Route and then Add as start.

3 - Do the same for the other end of the segment, but selecting Add as end.

4 - Go the Route planner panel and click Get directions. 

5 - Save as a new file with a unique name for this segment (optional).

6 - Hide the pushpin set before printing to avoid the potential clutter that might appear on the map (optional). 

7 - Print or copy as above.

It will be a matter of personal preferences and requirements as to which of my two suggestions best meets your needs. And I do not preclude the possibility of better approaches that have not occured to me.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:44 PM