Desktop Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I know this question has been asked numerous times, but I'm still having problems with both remote access and even Desktop Remote Access.  I think my remote access problem is due to my ISP.  I'll be giving them a call this weekend to find out if their blocking certain ports.  But for now, I tried to desktop remote access into my HP MS EX470 and I keep getting an error message saying that I don't have access.  I get the same message when I try to copy files from my laptop to the share drives.

What's going on.  Please help.

SilkRod

Friday, March 7, 2008 9:38 AM

Answers

• Walk me through how you are trying to access your EX470 from your client.

You are using the username Administrator and the password of whatever you set up the WHS account to be?

Andrew

Friday, March 7, 2008 11:30 AM
  • Your ISP tech support may not be able to answer that question accurately. (To be charitable...) You can test to see if your ISP is really blocking your ports by using a site like Shields Up!. It will allow you to probe the WHS ports (80, 443, 4125); if any of them show up as "STEALTH" then either you don't have that port properly forwarded, or your ISP is blocking it.

That said, the issue you're having with copying files isn't related. Can you confirm that your login name on your laptop matches a user name on WHS?
    Friday, March 7, 2008 12:45 PM

All replies

• Walk me through how you are trying to access your EX470 from your client.

You are using the username Administrator and the password of whatever you set up the WHS account to be?

Andrew

Friday, March 7, 2008 11:30 AM
  • Your ISP tech support may not be able to answer that question accurately. (To be charitable...) You can test to see if your ISP is really blocking your ports by using a site like Shields Up!. It will allow you to probe the WHS ports (80, 443, 4125); if any of them show up as "STEALTH" then either you don't have that port properly forwarded, or your ISP is blocking it.

That said, the issue you're having with copying files isn't related. Can you confirm that your login name on your laptop matches a user name on WHS?
    Friday, March 7, 2008 12:45 PM
  • I'd like to thank both Andrew and Ken for their responses to my problems.  You both helped me figure out what I was doing wrong.  First, even though I am the administrator on the client PC, my client logon did not match my logon on WHS.  Now I have to problem access my shared user folder.  Also, when trying to establish a desktop connection to the server, I was not using "Administrator" as the username.  I was using my username as it is on the server.  I still have not been able to establish remote access, but that's my next endeavor.  Again thanks.

SilkRod

Monday, March 10, 2008 9:46 AM