Backing Up Entire Server RRS feed

• Question

• Is there anyway to backup the entire server including the backups from the home computers. Currently there is only the option to back up the shared folders.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:29 PM

Answers

• The Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief describes how to back up the backup database manually. this is unsupported, but pretty easy to do and pretty harmless. :)

If you search in the developers forum you'll find an add-in, Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) which does this for you. It also has a couple of other features that you might be interested in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Is there anyway to backup the entire server including the backups from the home computers. Currently there is only the option to back up the shared folders.

In addition to what Ken said, there is no way to backup the "entire server" (which would include the OS).  The OS is essentially replaceable with a Server Reinstallation so backing it up is not necessary.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:00 AM

All replies

• The Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief describes how to back up the backup database manually. this is unsupported, but pretty easy to do and pretty harmless. :)

If you search in the developers forum you'll find an add-in, Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) which does this for you. It also has a couple of other features that you might be interested in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:42 PM

In addition to what Ken said, there is no way to backup the "entire server" (which would include the OS).  The OS is essentially replaceable with a Server Reinstallation so backing it up is not necessary.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:00 AM