none
Bizarre that non-Moderators can post to the Off-Topic posts forum. RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the definition of the Off-Topics forum

"Forum for moderators to move off-topic posts to. Do not post in this forum...your question will not be answered."

It's title is "Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here)"

I have discovered that non-moderators can reply to threads in this forum. I find this completely bizarre.

What's the point of saying "Do not post in this forum...your question will not be answered." if in fact questions CAN be answered there? 
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:47 PM space added to see if moved to top of list
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:02 PM

All replies

• We have to really ask ourselves the point of the forum. Is it just a place to dump the questions that are off-topic and let them lie there, or is there a chance someone might come along and point out a better forum to use (creating goodwill).

Web Designers for Obama/Biden 08.
    Friday, September 12, 2008 1:41 AM
  • We are back to our old discussion.

I see the Off-Topic posts forum as indeed a place to dump things that are off-topic. 

Once you start (or continue!) being able to reply to posts there, the better option becomes just deleting threads. You (especially) and me (after your arguments) have both rejected deleting threads in favour of posting them to Off-Topic with an explanation of why they ARE off-topic.

But if there is comeback there, then going back to deleting threads becomes the only option.

Maybe what we need  is yet a third option - the "Not Sure if this is Off-Topic" forum :)   (where discussions are welcomed). I would use it maybe once in every 100 posts at present posted to Off-Topic (if that).
    Friday, September 12, 2008 4:39 AM
  • If you delete my post, I would be quite upset, because if you think its off topic, I might not.

If you move my post to off topics, then its your problem to get me happy again by moving the "off topic" post that is not off topic back to on topics, because you made the mistake of moving the post to off topics in the first place.

If you leave the post to off topics, you are not fixing customer satisfaction. I don't care much do you care or not, because I can go posting somewhere else if I don't like these forums. It should be the job of MCCSQFCPs (Microsoft Customer Satisfaction Quality on Forums Controller Persons) to keep the moderators doing what they are expected to do.

Also there is no point for me to move my post back to on topics even if I think its on topic and not off topic, because mods might still think its off topic, so why bother.
    • Edited by Silvercode Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:09 AM Added point
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:03 AM
  • Your entire tone seems to be extremely agressive.

Are you having a bad day or are you objecting just to me or to Moderators in general ?

>If you move my post to off topics, then its your problem to get me happy again by moving the "off topic" post that is not off topic back to on topics, >because you made the mistake of moving the post to off topics in the first place. 

Look, I don't know how much time you have, but I don't have the time to research which forum a thread should go to. I will of course not post something to off-topic if the question is in the right group of forums (SharePoint in my case) but is just in the wrong forum from that group. Then I move it to the right forum (and first say why).

But I don't have the time (and no-one is paying me a cent to moderate) to move way-off posts to the correct forum. Mostly I wouldn't even know what the correct forum is and when we've had cases that other Moderators have moved to a SharePoint forum, invariably it's either not been a SharePoint question at all or its been moved to the wrong SharePoint forum.

That leaves moving them to Off-Topics and then being told there what the right forum is. Well there are two snags to that. One, it assumes that I monitor everything I move to Off-Topics to see if there is such a post (see above comments on time) and Two, it assumes that when we Moderators could move to the Off-Topic forum (we can't at the moment) we had the rights to move a thread FROM the Off-Topics forum. I *once* wanted to do this because it had been a mistake to move that post there and we didn't have such rights.  (I actually requested such rights either in the forum or in e-mail but nothing happened)

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:29 AM Spelling (of snags)
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:28 AM
  • The quote feature doesn't seem to work (I can't add my own text between the rows by hitting enter there), so I quote as plain text:

"Your entire tone seems to be extremely agressive."

Why do you think my tone is extremely aggressive just by me saying what I think? Of course I would be upset if someone deleted my post... But I would not kick the poor moderator. If I get unhappy because someone made a mistake, you can't do anything about it except to correct the mistake. If you don't correct it, the world is not going to end. Its just some kind of customer satisfaction quality issue.

The moderators might not have time or will to browse through off topic posts, but I don't care about that. If I cared about some important post, I would contact Microsoft and file a complaint, but I don't think I am going to do that. 1) The post might not be that important 2) Propably nothing would happen.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:59 PM
  • Mike Walsh MVP said:

I don't have the time to research which forum a thread should go to.

Moderators often dump threads in the wrong place just to get it out of theirs. As a person that has answered many questions, it is frustrating for me when a moderator dumps a thread in a forum that it does not belong. Moderators that do that never post a comment explaining. If a moderator does not have time to do what should be done, the moderator should not mess with it.

Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Friday, November 21, 2008 11:43 PM
  • I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not.

The quote you use is accurate but it's out of context.

What I said was that I move off-topic posts to the Off-Topic forum. (I also write a brief comment on why which covers your other point).

Moving them to Off-Topic gets them away from the wrong forum without making a possible wrong decision on which forum to move them to.

The quote you are using is just that - I don't have time to research which *particular* forum a thread should go to if it is way off-topic and thus post way off-topic posts to the Off-topic forum so the poster can try again.

If a post is in the wrong forum but in the right group of forums, then I of course know which is the correct exact forum and move it to that (with a comment).

But no-one is served by me saying to myself (for instance) "this is a Visual C++ post so I'll move it to a Visual C++ forum". The chances are that I would move it to the wrong Visual C++ forum.  (Thus avoiding "it is frustrating for me when a moderator dumps a thread in a forum that it does not belong").
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:47 AM
  • Simple Samples said:

> Moderators often dump threads in the wrong place just to get it out of theirs
    Moderators very often dump threads in the correct place

> it is frustrating for me when a moderator dumps a thread in a forum that it does not belong
    It is frustrating to a moderator when users start threads in the wrong forum

> Moderators that do that never post a comment explaining
    Moderators are required to leave a comment, it cannot be bypassed

> the moderator should not mess with it
    This presumes that there are other moderators that do have time to do what should be done.  That's incorrect.

Folks, fix these problems and become a moderator yourself.  It requires about 4 hours of your free time everyday and a willingness to do a job that is largely boring with few "thank-you"s and no rewards.  If that sounds unappealing and not your idea of having a good time, try to give those that took it on a break.  If you think that these forums are better off without moderators, have a look at the Show and Tell forum at the old site to see what happens.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 9:21 PM