How to provide access from branch office? RRS feed

• Question

•  

We in the company have basic office and branch which is on significant distance from the basic office. Between the basic office and branch - the allocated liaison channel (2 Mbit). Forests at the basic office and branch different, but are relations. At the basic office it is established OCS207 Ent. It is necessary that users from branch could communicate with the basic office and among themselves (less often). Thus the quantityof the traffic should be minimal.

What variant the most preferable:

1. Two OCS 2007 at the basic office and branch with two Edge servers?

2. To put in branch the controller of the domain and to organize there a separate pool?

3. To resolve to users from branch connect to the main office (at present it is made so - but the big traffic and poor quality of communication).

4. To put one Edge Server on existing OCS? (in that case from the point of view of optimization of the traffic of it it is better to put in branch or at the main office)

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:26 AM

All replies

• 1. That will work but traffic will not be any less

2. Same thing traffic is the same

4. You cannot but an EDGE on existing OCS you need separate server prefereably in a workgroup

But It might also be a good idea to install a Quality of Experience Server that collects the Quality of audio and video so that you can fully analyse how communicator behaves

It might be better to look at tools that optimize your WAN connection

WAN Accelerators you can use to fully utilize your bandwidth and you can set QoS on specific traffic

RT-Audio and RT-Video are optimized for the internet so you WAN is Highly congested or has a too high latency

Either way your communications will suffer in any design change of your OCS infrastructure

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:58 AM
  • I'm not quite sure I follow, but if you are stating that you have two separate AD forests with two separate OCS deployments, then installing an Edge Server in each location and using federation is the supported configuration; locating two Front-End servers in one office and two Edge servers in the other office won't accomplish anything (except a major headache, I'd imagine).
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:40 PM
  • OK that's true but the network still is the bottleneck doing call from branch to main site and that are the majority of the calls as I can find in the first post

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:08 PM