OCS based Livemeeting whiteboarding (and more) not working RRS feed

• Question

• So I've got an OCS 2007 R2 Std instance up and mostly functional on Win2k8 Standard for strictly internal only usage, however something odd happens when attempting whiteboard, uploaded document, or screencap shared content types in live meetings. All that happens is "Loading image..." appears indefinately. In the debug log after a failed whiteboard session for example, I see one

[MC] 18:43:13:516 GMT [PID 3076] [THREAD 2520] [I] [X-DL] DownloaderThread::processRequest() downloading[1]: https://myserver.mycompany.local/etc/place/null/SlideFiles/blank.png

followed by tons and tons of

[MC] 18:42:05:571 GMT [PID 3076] [THREAD 2516] [E] WTLMountImageSlide::OnPngReceived() - received zero byte image!

...indicating maybe there's something going on on the IIS side. The odd thing is, throwing that directly into IE seems to not throw errors. The 'page' ends up being blank unsurprisingly, but I'm not sure what to expect here.

For the other content types, I get slightly different initial URLs, and in the case of uploads, content does appear to make it all the way back to the server but the end result back down at the workstation is always the same - zero byte files being recieved over and over and over again.

Things on the server look fine, however obviously there's something I'm missing so I figured I'd go consult the sages. :)

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:55 PM

Answers

• Check your sip trace off the client. then review the reg keys below for the live meeting logging and turn on live meeting logging. At the same time check you pwconsole log. I listed where it is below.

General Reg Key information.

The current Microsoft Office Communicator (MOC build 3.5.xxx) also has the ability to turn on its own logging. If you go into Tool>Options, you;ll see a General tab. From there you can enable logging in Communicator and turn on Windows Events for Communicator. Clicking the logging in Communicator checkbox creates Communicator.etl and Communicator-uccp.uccapilog. files with out having to go into regedit and restart MOC. For those still interested in the registry keys:
    NOTE: you can download the resource kit and it contains a tool call snooper.exe that is very helpfull in reviewing the sip traces. 

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\UcClient\Communicator\EnableTracing = 1

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\uccp\Communicator\EnableTracing = 1

Live Meeting console tracing Reg Keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\uccp\ConfAPI\EnableTracing = 1

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\uccp\LiveMeeting\EnableTracing = 1

By default all of these logs are stored in %USERPROFILE%\Tracing. There is one more log file that is very useful when debugging a Live Meeting problem and that is the pwconsole-debug log. That one is automatically generated and stored in the %TEMP% directory.

mitch
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Alright.  Figured this one out.  Within the IIS role services ensure that static content is installed.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:32 PM

All replies

• So you created 3 shares when you setup OCS, 1 of those shares is for live meeting content. you might want to review that. you should be able to find the location in the main windows of OCS when  you highlight the pool object. then expand meeting settings. check the URL's, Check permissions on the shared folder, and check to make sure you have dns resolution to that server.
    mitch
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions -

1. The data folder looks good, I can even see content get placed into the folder in some odd guid type folder structure
    2. For URLs I don't have external specified, however I'm not trying to use external
    3. DNS resolution looks good as well - not only am I able to launch the meeting room without issue, but manually hitting the URLs listed in the mgt mmc

Any other ideas or checkpoints I can hit?

-D

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Check your sip trace off the client. then review the reg keys below for the live meeting logging and turn on live meeting logging. At the same time check you pwconsole log. I listed where it is below.

General Reg Key information.

The current Microsoft Office Communicator (MOC build 3.5.xxx) also has the ability to turn on its own logging. If you go into Tool>Options, you;ll see a General tab. From there you can enable logging in Communicator and turn on Windows Events for Communicator. Clicking the logging in Communicator checkbox creates Communicator.etl and Communicator-uccp.uccapilog. files with out having to go into regedit and restart MOC. For those still interested in the registry keys:
    NOTE: you can download the resource kit and it contains a tool call snooper.exe that is very helpfull in reviewing the sip traces. 

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\UcClient\Communicator\EnableTracing = 1

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\uccp\Communicator\EnableTracing = 1

Live Meeting console tracing Reg Keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\uccp\ConfAPI\EnableTracing = 1

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Tracing\uccp\LiveMeeting\EnableTracing = 1

By default all of these logs are stored in %USERPROFILE%\Tracing. There is one more log file that is very useful when debugging a Live Meeting problem and that is the pwconsole-debug log. That one is automatically generated and stored in the %TEMP% directory.

mitch
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Hey did you ever get this resolved? 

I am having the exact same issue.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:10 PM
  • Can you take a network trace of the actuall traffic. I know it is encrypted but this seems a little odd it saying 0 bytes recieved. Also can you pull the iis logs from that machine and review them to see if there is any indication of the problem.

thanks.
    Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Both the packet sniffer and IIS logs had no errors.  I am at a loss at this point.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:56 PM
  • Alright.  Figured this one out.  Within the IIS role services ensure that static content is installed.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:32 PM