Backup to NAS Device RRS feed

• Question

• I would like the PC backups to go to my WD 500GB Mybookworld device.  It is connected to my router through Ethernet.  Can I do this?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:01 AM

Answers

•  mysparebrain wrote:
    I would like the PC backups to go to my WD 500GB Mybookworld device.  It is connected to my router through Ethernet.  Can I do this?

No, you can't pick where WHS backups go but you can use the NAS to back up data on the shares using something like SyncToy. Wink

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:18 AM
  • You can't add a NAS device that's not plugged directly in to WHS (USB, Firewire, eSATA) to the storage pool, and backups are only stored on drives in the pool. In addition, as SME has said, you can't designate particular drives for particular uses.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:19 AM

All replies

•  mysparebrain wrote:
    I would like the PC backups to go to my WD 500GB Mybookworld device.  It is connected to my router through Ethernet.  Can I do this?

No, you can't pick where WHS backups go but you can use the NAS to back up data on the shares using something like SyncToy. Wink

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:18 AM
  • As  SME says SyncToy will do this just fine, however, if you want to run it on the WHS, it really needs to run as a service. I have SecondCopy, (which can be set up to run as a service,) running as a trial, syncing all my shared folders with a copy of them on a network connected DNS-323 with 2 1Tb disks and, up 'till now - 2 weeks, I haven't come across any problems - touch wood!

HTH

Colin

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:56 PM
  • Okay, that's good to know...I will probably will just stick with the NAS device for now.  I am running WHS on a 4 yr old machine with a 80gb hard drive (seems to have enough room to backup 2 laptops onto it).  When WHS goes RTM I will probably get a new server with proper size hard drives.  So far so good though, I am liking it for the most part.

The one thing I do NOT like is there is no support for remote access with Vista Home Premium Sad

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:07 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

As  SME says SyncToy will do this just fine, however, if you want to run it on the WHS, it really needs to run as a service. I have SecondCopy, (which can be set up to run as a service,) running as a trial, syncing all my shared folders with a copy of them on a network connected DNS-323 with 2 1Tb disks and, up 'till now - 2 weeks, I haven't come across any problems - touch wood!

HTH

Colin

I just keep the WHS logged in, with the blank SS passworded. SyncToy can be scheduled and it's free. I don't see a reason to pay for a utility that can be found as freeware.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:07 PM
  •  mysparebrain wrote:

Okay, that's good to know...I will probably will just stick with the NAS device for now.  I am running WHS on a 4 yr old machine with a 80gb hard drive (seems to have enough room to backup 2 laptops onto it).  When WHS goes RTM I will probably get a new server with proper size hard drives.  So far so good though, I am liking it for the most part.

The one thing I do NOT like is there is no support for remote access with Vista Home Premium

Vista has an anytime upgrade program.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/windowsanytimeupgrade/overview.mspx

Hope that helps...

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:20 PM
  •  mysparebrain wrote:

The one thing I do NOT like is there is no support for remote access with Vista Home Premium

Please define "remote access".

Remote Desktop Connection from Vista Home Premium to WHS works fine.

But maybe you mean other than that?

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:55 AM
  • there is also "cobian backup" it is free and works well at doing schedule backups to my snap server from WHS. It can run as a service and also back up via ftp to off site storage
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:32 AM
  • You can't add a NAS device that's not plugged directly in to WHS (USB, Firewire, eSATA) to the storage pool, and backups are only stored on drives in the pool. In addition, as SME has said, you can't designate particular drives for particular uses.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:19 AM
  •  ChristianJohansson wrote:
     mysparebrain wrote:

Please define "remote access".

Remote Desktop Connection from Vista Home Premium to WHS works fine.

But maybe you mean other than that?

Sorry I meant Remote Desktop.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:44 PM
  •  SME wrote:
     mysparebrain wrote:

Okay, that's good to know...I will probably will just stick with the NAS device for now.  I am running WHS on a 4 yr old machine with a 80gb hard drive (seems to have enough room to backup 2 laptops onto it).  When WHS goes RTM I will probably get a new server with proper size hard drives.  So far so good though, I am liking it for the most part.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/windowsanytimeupgrade/overview.mspx

Hope that helps...

Sorry but that's BS.  Both XP Home and Pro could do Remote Desktop and should have been included in Home Premium.  I can understand it not being in Home Basic though.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:47 PM
  •  mysparebrain wrote:
     SME wrote:
     mysparebrain wrote:

Hope that helps...

Sorry but that's BS.  Both XP Home and Pro could do Remote Desktop and should have been included in Home Premium.  I can understand it not being in Home Basic though.

You don't get to decide what should or shouldn't be included, you only get to decide whether you want to upgrade to what IS supported or not.

BTW, XP Home doesn't support remote access. RDP out, yes, but not remote access via WHS.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:13 PM
  •  SME wrote:
     mysparebrain wrote:
     SME wrote:
     mysparebrain wrote:

Hope that helps...

You don't get to decide what should or shouldn't be included, you only get to decide whether you want to upgrade to what IS supported or not.

BTW, XP Home doesn't support remote access. RDP out, yes, but not remote access via WHS.

Yep...that's what 3rd party software is good for.  Wink
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:16 PM
  •  mysparebrain wrote:
     SME wrote:
     mysparebrain wrote:
     SME wrote:
     mysparebrain wrote:

Hope that helps...

Yep...that's what 3rd party software is good for. 

I agree, I like RealVNC Enterprise better anyway. Wink

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:22 PM