HP Proliant ML110 G4 RRS feed

• Question

• Other post have pointed at this sever which now shows at very low prices (under GBP120 if you hunt).  I'm interested and would look move my 3x500GB disk setup to it (I assume a server reinstall would do the trick, and use the 160GB drive supplied in another system.

However I haven't seen a picture of the internals and was curious to know if anyone has an internal pic, I wanted to know how the drive cooling was as I can't use by current (3-bay) drive cooler in it.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:37 AM

All replies

• These may help:

G5 support manual

G4 support site

It looks like one fan is used to pull air through the case.  Given that this is a server it probably is more than adequate for cooling the hard drives.  It also probably means that fan is a strong & loud one.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:54 PM
  •  

Thanks.  There are some usefull pics in http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00778659/c00778659.pdf

Looks reasonable, though perhaps not as idea as now with a 120 fan on the HDD cage. 

Monday, March 17, 2008 10:16 AM
  • I've been hunting but cheapest I can find is the M110 G4 on ebuyer at 169 GBP

Any tips on getting it for less?

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:24 PM
  • I just got one of these off ebuyer the other day for £159. What a bargain!

I added 2GB of RAM, took the primary hard disk from my old server and did a re-installation. The performance difference is staggering and for a considerable saving I've got a fully featured box which may not be as cute as an EX47x but it runs WHS brilliantly and is easily expandable.

Chunk 
    Monday, March 17, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Shakesc -

Have a seach - Google shopping found me one at Misco for <£120 http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=261093

Chunk72 -

Whats the noise level like and what temps are your drives running at?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 8:00 AM
  • I haven't got an ML110 but I have the Opteron variant (the ML115 in the same case) and thought I'd mention my noise issues with it.  On boot it makes a hell of a racket and even running it made far too much noise for my liking, the CPU cooler in particular was the worst culprit, all in all far too noisy for the home.  Once I replaced the cooler fan, case exhaust and PSU with Zalman products (took a while to find the 360w PSU model as they've stopped making them) it's now as quiet as an EX470.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:35 PM
  • the ml115 is on special offer for £99 + vat and delivery - my work place was looking at one yesterday ill see if i can find out the website for it

its the opteron 1210 version

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:29 AM
  • I think the ML110 G4 boxes are EOL so they are selling out when they're at the lowest prices.  you might find one for £92.82+vat+del at http://www.rapideshop.co.uk/products.asp?partno=432535-035 but otherwise they seem to be dissapearing.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:49 AM
  • the company selling the ml115s for 99+delvier and vat is computer 2000, you have to have an account with them to see details though
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:35 PM
  •  Shakesc wrote:

I've been hunting but cheapest I can find is the M110 G4 on ebuyer at 169 GBP

Any tips on getting it for less?

Best price I have found was at pcupgrader.com where it was available for £120 delivered.

Personally I favour the ML115 G3 Opteron version which can be had for around £125+ at several good online suppliers (cclonline.co.uk, it247.com etc)  although current best price is £112 from probsolvexpress.com but I have not heard of them or used them before so they are an unknown quantity to me.

However prices and more importantly stock availability do fluctuate at all the online sites.

Remember these products are EOL and effectively discontinued although 3-year warranty is still valid and some sites also offer HP promotion cash backs but these are of little use with these low end servers.

For the money however they are a 'steal'.

I have also been looking for some time now at the HP EX470 which can be had for £345 delivered if you search hard enough and I am very tempted indeed but these bargain basement server prices mean you can get a much more powerful machine (albeit more noisy and no hot swap) for much less even when you facter in the cost of the software licence.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:30 PM