Streaming to a PS3 RRS feed

• Question

• Now that the PS3 can connect to a DLNA server, can WHS stream pictures, music and video to a PS3, the same as an Xbox360?

ash720

Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:12 PM

Answers

• Yes. WHS shows up at the top of the Pictures, Music and Video section on the XMB. (this is with Media Sharing switched on in the settings setcion on WHS)

I've streamed video and photos successfully to test it. Biggest problem appears to be lack of codecs on the PS3. I think you need a streaming service on WHS which converts to a PS3 friendly format - but haven't got as far as testing anything to do this.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:39 PM
  • With the updated firmware it does play DivX and Xvid files.  However it can sometimes be a bit picky about which ones it plays and it struggles with transport controls (forward/backward).  If all you want to do is play and pause, it mostly seems to work OK.

I imagine things will improve with later firmware updates.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

• This is a very good question and I am very interested to hear the possibilities of this arrangement

EDIT:  Turns out PacketVideo Corp is working on an add-in for Windows Home Server to allow DLNA 1.0, 1.5 and PnP streaming of media to compatible DLNA devices Smile

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/may07/05-15WHSNewHardwarePR.mspx

So it look slike the answer is yes ! Smile

Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Yes. WHS shows up at the top of the Pictures, Music and Video section on the XMB. (this is with Media Sharing switched on in the settings setcion on WHS)

I've streamed video and photos successfully to test it. Biggest problem appears to be lack of codecs on the PS3. I think you need a streaming service on WHS which converts to a PS3 friendly format - but haven't got as far as testing anything to do this.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:39 PM
  • Right.  The only issues I've seen so far is that the PS3 cannot handle lossless WMA or WMV files.  Other formats it can play OK.  I'm guessing like they did for the PSP, they will be adding codec compatibility with a later release.  I recorded most of my CD's at the Highest Quality Variable Bit Rate and they seem to play OK so far.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Won't play any of my AVIs either. Presumably DivX or XviD codec required for these..
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 4:04 PM
  •  TimDuncan wrote:

Yes. WHS shows up at the top of the Pictures, Music and Video section on the XMB. (this is with Media Sharing switched on in the settings setcion on WHS)

It's a pity that it doesn't work for me. When I search for a mediaserver via the XMB, it says that there are no servers found. I've enabled the guest account, even with full access temporarily, but no luck... Have I missed something?

Friday, May 25, 2007 8:31 AM
  • You need to check that "Media Sharing" is turned on in the Windows Home Server Settings - other than that I didn't do anything, it just worked. Smile

CalimeroRulez wrote:

It's a pity that it doesn't work for me. When I search for a mediaserver via the XMB, it says that there are no servers found. I've enabled the guest account, even with full access temporarily, but no luck... Have I missed something?

Friday, May 25, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Like Tim mentioned, Media Streaming needs to be enabled for the folder(s) in question.  Like others the base support codecs for the PS3 on the video side are a little thin at this point.  If you have podcasts or video podcasts you watch, now there's an end to end solution to deliver that content to the PS3 via the WHS.  That is if the video podcasts video format is compatible.  (iPod video compatible format, although blurry zoomed in, does work natively)
    Friday, May 25, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Oh, I forgot to mention that Meda Sharing is turned on already , but still it doesn't work. Oh well, I've got an extra long weekend ahead to get it working 
    Friday, May 25, 2007 8:00 PM
  • The PS3 only plays .MP4 format video files.
    I have several .MP4 video files in the shared video folder on my WHS, but they are not showing up on my PS3, nor will the Windows Media Player play them on the WHS.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 2:20 AM
  • I got this working this past weekend and it's great!  Now I do not have to spend on a dlna-compatible device for one of my rooms.  As mentioned though, format compatibility is sparse at the moment.  I hope they will be adding more codecs soon Smile
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:32 PM
  • I have a problem where when I try to stream my mp3 collection to the PS3, it plays the first file fine but when it goes to the next song in the list, it seems to only play the first 7 seconds or so and then skips back to the beginning of the song.  I tried music I shared using the Windows Media connect software from my laptop with windows XP and that worked fine.

Anyone run into this problem?

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:42 PM
  • Yeah.me to.

It (PS3 FW 2.0) only plays the first song then stops.

This only happens when streaming from WHS (OEM) and when streaming from MS MP11 everything works fine, and then all songs are played.

I wonder if something like Firefly needs to installed on WHS, anyone ?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:23 PM
  •  What17ever wrote:

Yeah.me to.

It (PS3 FW 2.0) only plays the first song then stops.

This only happens when streaming from WHS (OEM) and when streaming from MS MP11 everything works fine, and then all songs are played.

I wonder if something like Firefly needs to installed on WHS, anyone ?

I wonder if it has something to do with the version of MediaConnect ?

I think (?) that WHS has Windows Media Connect 2.0 (could it be ?) and MediaPlayer 11 has MediaConnect3.0 (WinXP) and MediaConnect4.0 (Vista).

Could anyone confirm ?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:56 PM
  • After performing a re-install of WHS, my music streaming has been just fine.  I haven't purchased the OEM version yet as I'm still on my last BETA key and I haven't decided if I'm going to keep using it or not.

Either way it has been quite a nice product to try out.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 4:58 PM
  •  dysan1558 wrote:

After performing a re-install of WHS, my music streaming has been just fine.  I haven't purchased the OEM version yet as I'm still on my last BETA key and I haven't decided if I'm going to keep using it or not.

Either way it has been quite a nice product to try out.

Oh,

So you are saying that you no longer has problem streaming multiple mp3's to a PS3 after a reinstall ?????

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:56 AM
  • That's correct.  I can now stream my music to my PS3 and not have any hiccups.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:42 PM
  • pfffft, finally reinstalled WHS, and still got the problems described above (not playing the next song...)

dysan1558, do you have folder duplication enabled for music ?

(I have...)

Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:33 AM
  • No I don't have duplication enabled for my music.  I only enable that on my photos. 

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:14 PM
  • same problem here. i've tried setting this up a few different ways. i cleaned out the music folder and just put a few albums in there to test. i then created m3u files with relative, not absolute paths, but no dice. on my ps3 i see the albums, folders, playlists, etc, but it only plays the first song and does not advance. this seems like a pretty simple problem, but i can't find a solution.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 5:12 PM
  • I've got the 2.01 OS on my PS3.  Can stream music, video fine to it.  Only change I made was updating the media services on WHS to WMP 11 (not supported by MS).  Every once in a while it will stutter, but if that is the only thing drawing files from the server it plays just fine.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 5:17 PM
  • hmmm...my streaming works just fine, but it's really a playlist issue (not advancing to the next track). is that what you're talking about?
    Monday, December 10, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Ok, the only way for me to solve this problem was to install WMP11, according to another thread in the forum.

Now the streaming to PS3 works......

The problem I had before was not related to playlists at all.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:22 PM
  •  

Guys I have a Windows Home Server box. PS3 sees it and pays music pics from it fine. It sees all the xvid/divx files but they are all listed as unsuppoted. My 360 plays all these file fine so does my vista machine. Everything can stream from server. I think something may be wrong with PS3 FW. I thought it didnt update correctly but the earth visulizer is there and the new folding@home is also. Also i tried to copy files to hdd but ps3 wouldnt let me, it said no files can be copied cause they are unsupported...something to that nature.

I also tried to use TVersity on my Vista machine but neither 360 nor PS3 could see it. I disabled WMC and WM11 sharing and still nothing. Tversity said it was running and it found my server and had the files in the library. Can someone help me?!!?

Also has anyone had issues with server after upgrading to wm11 per the instructions?

Friday, December 21, 2007 1:33 AM
  • I was experiencing the same issues on my PS3 where the songs would play one or two then stop.  This also occurred during movie playback from my PC.  The reason this is happening, according to TVersity.com, is that the PS3 is a little impatient on receiving data from the media server.  If it doesn't receive the right amount of data or if there is network lag it times out and reports an error. 

The way I've found around this is installing a third-party media server like TVersity.  After installing it everything works great without any DLNA errors.  Hope this helps out.

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:59 AM
  • I'm able to stream my photos, and music to my PS3 but not my videos.  So I installed TVersity on my home server and I'm still not able to stream my videos.  It says that it is an unsupported format.  Can you let me what steps you took to get that working.  Thank you.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:04 PM
  • I reset everything and removed everything. So now my PS3 only sees Server and can play music and photos. Videos still show up unsupported.

I then installed Winamp Remote which is an Orb addin for Winamp on my server. In the configuration i checked "run while not logged in" then i added my shares. Powered on PS3 and bam Orb shows up in XMB and plays back my videos after a 30 secs of buffering.

I have no other software installed on server just Winamp Remote. I feel this is better than original Orb because Orb is web only and WR goes straight to XMB. Also i didnt have to install or turn off any of the stuff from Tversity.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 4:34 PM
  • I installed winamp remote and my PS3 finds it and the movie files.  The only thing is there is a little hiccups, and then it gives a DLNA error.  Did you run into these issues as all?  Thanks for the help.

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:11 AM
  • I dont get that error but i also switched to a wired connection. I read somewhere that the PS3 is not patient and sometimes it will play if you try it again after the error.  So play the file, get the error, press o to back out then press x to play again. Another thing some people are trying is setting the PS3 in the DMZ on the router.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 2:19 PM
  • "Also has anyone had issues with server after upgrading to wm11 per the instructions?"

No, after I "upgraded" or whatever you call it to WMP11 everything works perfectly, now PS3 can stream as many songs/pictures as i want without any problem.

I don't think MS support this in any way , but for me it was the only way to solve the problem. I used PS3 FW 2.10 and wired Gigabit ethernet.

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:23 PM
  • On similar subject, what I would love to see is some sort of "PS3 server" emulator for WHS. That is, the possibility to stream to Playstation Portables from a WHS pretending to be a PS3 Smile

Friday, January 4, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Update: i stopped using Winamp Remote cause it was slow loading and the video picture was a little darker than my 360. I have upgraded my server to WMP11 per instructions from previous poster's link. I have to say everything works beautifully now. All my media is seen on 360 and PS3 and PS3 starts playing almost immediately. When setting up sharing in WMP11, i checked the box that says "allow all devices to connect" because none of them showed up in the box to let me allow them to be used.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Can you tell me how you got WMP 11 to install on your server?  I tried it, and it errored out due to an incompatibility issue.  I want to start burning my DVDs to my server and stream them.  The kids get them and make frisbees out of them.  Also is anyone successful with streaming from WHS to PS3 through a wireless connection? 

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Posted By:   Jay Schlackman on 30 Jun 2007 1:15 PM UTC
    Subject:   Re: Media Player 11 not supported
    I've done some fiddling today and managed to get this working, albeit in a completely unsupported and at-your-own-risk way.

Ready for some tinkering? After reading up on various workarounds online, here's what I did:

To install Media Player 11:
    1. Download wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe
    2. Open this file in an extraction program such as WinZip or 7-Zip (I used 7-Zip)
    3. Extract the wmfdist11.exe and wmp11.exe and place them in separate folders on the C: drive of your WHS (not on a share). (this step was adapted from instructions I was following elsewhere - I'm not certain of the separate folders requirement, but I did it anyway)
    4. From the WHS admin desktop, right-click the wmfdist11.exe file and click properties.
    5. Go to the Compatibility tab and ticket the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, and sleect Windows XP from the drop down.
    6. Click OK, and run the wmfdisk11.exe. Choose not to restart at the end.
    7. Repeat 4-7 for the wmp11.exe
    8. Reboot WHS, launch your newly installed Media player 11.
    Now, that doesn't alter your Media Sharing setup at all. If you had Media Sharing turned on before, it will still be using Windows Media Connect 2.0 as included with WHS. So, to set up the newer sharing system:
    1. Open the WHS Console, go to Settings, and turn off Media Sharing
    2. (This step is possibly optional, but I had to do it)
      1. Click Start, right-click on My Computer, and click Manage.
      2. Browse to Services and Application > Services
      3. Find Windows Media Connect Service, right click it and click Properties
      4. Click Stop (if it is not already stopped)
      5. Set Startup type to Disabled (if not already)
      6. Click OK.
    3. Open Windows Media Player on WHS.
    4. Click the down arrow on the Library tab and click More Options
    5. Click the Monitor Folders button
    6. Add D:\shares\Music (or wherever your music is) to the list. NOTE: Microsoft recommend you always use the \\servername\sharename method to access files on the shares, but WMP11 will not share files located on a UNC path without a lot of fiddling around (see "Q. Why can't I play files that are shared by one computer but located on different computer?" on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/sharing.mspx). This worked for me, and given that I'm only reading data using this method and not writing, I don't see the harm - if someone knows differently please tell me!
    7. Click OK and wait for files to be added to the library
    8. Now click the Configure Sharing button
    9. Tick the "Share my media to:" box and configure the settings how you want them by either clicking the Settings button to setup default settings for all devices, or click Configure for each detected client and set each client up manually.
    10. Click OK, OK, and close Windows Media Player
    11. Start your client of choice and relax.

UPDATE: If you find after following these steps that the Remote Access web page is throing an ASP.NET error (as I did), simply reboot WHS. This seems to be caused by stopping the Windows Media Connect Service.

I don't have any standalone devices to test this on, such as the ones mentioned above, but I'm pretty sure they will now work. I'd love to hear how someone with one of those devices gets on.

Remember, this is completely at your own risk and your WHS may explode, lose all your data, and shave your cat for all I know. It worked fine for me, but if you break your server doing this then remember it's your server, and you did it. As Obi-Wan said: "Who's the more foolish; the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:58 PM
  • Can you please tell me what you did to get your movies to play.  My movies aren't even showing up after I made the same change you did.  I'm using DVD shrink, can you tell me what settings you're using to backup your movies so they could be recognized by PS3.  I'm having issues only playing back my movies.  As far as my music it's playing good, it stops on some songs, so I don't know if you have to create playlists to have them play one song after another.  Thank you for your help.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 8:58 PM
  • DVD Shrink creates VOB files. I dont think PS3 can play those, you'll need TVersity to transcode those files to playback. i'm only playing back .avi files (digicam, divx, xvid).
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:12 PM
  • What you can do that works is set DVD shrink to not split the .vob files so it's one file and then after it's ripped, just change the extension to .mpg and it will work just fine and dandy. 

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:30 PM
  • I finally tested one movie by ripping it into one file, and then I changed the extension to .mpg.  That didn't work.  So I found this free .mpg converter called mpeg-vcr, and after I converted the file I was able to watch my movie.  The quality comes in and out.  It hiccups here and there, and I get some frame flicker of the opening credits show up in the middle and the movie still plays.  That might be in the way it got ripped.  But the other reason for the low quality I believe is also due to having to stream the videos through a wireless connection since I don't have a wired connection in my family room.  Thank you guys for helping me out, I will still be doing more tweaking with this to at least to figure out how to stop the opening credits frames from showing up in the middle of the movie.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:35 PM
  • Wow.... This is a great post cigga and Jay..

I installed WMP11 to my WHS and now both my Xbox360, and PS3 are able to stream DivX files.  Before only the Xbox would stream Divx.

The lags are gone as well as the PS3 not advancing to the next track.  Why didn't they include the Media Player 11 version of the streaming server in the first place.

Granted, it's not supported and I need to leave the Administrator logged in with WMP running, but who cares....

So I can now stream all my music, videos, and pictures to the following machines with no problems

Windows XP Pro Desktop

Windows Vista Business laptop

Windows Vista Ultimate laptop

Xbox360

PS3

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:24 AM
  •  

Quote:

=====================================

Can you please tell me what you did to get your movies to play.  My movies aren't even showing up after I made the same change you did.  I'm using DVD shrink, can you tell me what settings you're using to backup your movies so they could be recognized by PS3.  <..>

======================================

I had the same problem and found that the latest version of DVDFAB 4.0.5 has an option to convert to PS3 format.  It works flawlessly and pic/sound quality is very good.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:43 AM
  • have u found anything to stream frendly format with ps3

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:53 PM
  • This worked wonders for me. Now I can view all types of AVI files and MPEG. Just make sure you turn on your PS3 first. Otherwise WMP11 won't recognize your PS3 at step 9.

cigga24 wrote:

Posted By:   Jay Schlackman on 30 Jun 2007 1:15 PM UTC
    I've done some fiddling today and managed to get this working, albeit in a completely unsupported and at-your-own-risk way.

Ready for some tinkering? After reading up on various workarounds online, here's what I did:

2. Open this file in an extraction program such as WinZip or 7-Zip (I used 7-Zip)
    3. Extract the wmfdist11.exe and wmp11.exe and place them in separate folders on the C: drive of your WHS (not on a share). (this step was adapted from instructions I was following elsewhere - I'm not certain of the separate folders requirement, but I did it anyway)
    4. From the WHS admin desktop, right-click the wmfdist11.exe file and click properties.
    5. Go to the Compatibility tab and ticket the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, and sleect Windows XP from the drop down.
    Now, that doesn't alter your Media Sharing setup at all. If you had Media Sharing turned on before, it will still be using Windows Media Connect 2.0 as included with WHS. So, to set up the newer sharing system:
      6. Click OK.
    6. Add D:\shares\Music (or wherever your music is) to the list. NOTE: Microsoft recommend you always use the \\servername\sharename method to access files on the shares, but WMP11 will not share files located on a UNC path without a lot of fiddling around (see "Q. Why can't I play files that are shared by one computer but located on different computer?" on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/sharing.mspx). This worked for me, and given that I'm only reading data using this method and not writing, I don't see the harm - if someone knows differently please tell me!
    9. Tick the "Share my media to:" box and configure the settings how you want them by either clicking the Settings button to setup default settings for all devices, or click Configure for each detected client and set each client up manually.

UPDATE: If you find after following these steps that the Remote Access web page is throing an ASP.NET error (as I did), simply reboot WHS. This seems to be caused by stopping the Windows Media Connect Service.

I don't have any standalone devices to test this on, such as the ones mentioned above, but I'm pretty sure they will now work. I'd love to hear how someone with one of those devices gets on.

Remember, this is completely at your own risk and your WHS may explode, lose all your data, and shave your cat for all I know. It worked fine for me, but if you break your server doing this then remember it's your server, and you did it. As Obi-Wan said: "Who's the more foolish; the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Monday, March 10, 2008 3:59 AM
  • Great thread......

I am interested in running through the config above but before I do I wanted to know if various playback functions work with mpg files.  Are you able to use playback functions like next chapter, previous chapter, jump to chapter and most important of all (to me) fast forward?  I have the wms set up to share the media and its working with the ps3 to stream mpg videos but can only play or pause, that's it.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:26 AM
  • With mpg files you can fast forward and rewind but you can't skip chapters. Unless someone here is able to do it.

But one thing I have noticed is a small percentage of AVI files are not recongnized. Anyone else having this problem?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 6:32 AM
  •  cigga24 wrote:
    Posted By:   Jay Schlackman on 30 Jun 2007 1:15 PM UTC

6. Click OK.

Thanks for this post cigga - incredibly useful. It worked a treat for me. One thing though: you probably want to turn off the options under 'Automatic media information updates for files' such as 'Retrieve additional information from the Internet'. It worries me that WMP might be updating files, which is a bad idea for two obvious reasons:
    1. It is directly accessing the files, rather than going via the network share.
    2. Editing files may cause corruption (until the notorious bug is fixed at least).
    The WMP sharing service runs as Network Service, which seems to only have read access by default (makes sense). However, I think WMP itself will update files if you do not disable these options.

Regards,
    Kent
    Saturday, March 29, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Question, I have been able to use the WHS Media sharing for my audio library with both WMA compressed and lossless files for 3 months or so.  The PS3 would play all the files shown as PCM files from the server.  Now that something has been messed with and I keep getting the DLNA 2006 error I have tried the WMP11 work around.  Sure enough the DLNA error is gone but the PS3 wont play any of the WMA Lossless albums which I knew was a limitation of the PS3, so how did the WHS Media share convert it vs what WMP11 does?

Thanks

Thomas

Friday, April 18, 2008 3:23 AM
  • For those that have a Mac, you can use Elgato's Eye Connect to stream WHS from Mac to PS3 without using the WMP11 hack. I just tried it this morning on one divx file and it worked fine. Will report back after more conclusive findings.
    Friday, April 25, 2008 2:58 PM
  • My PS3 used to be able to see my WHS, but that ended about 4 weeks ago.  I've tried reinstalled the WMP11 hack, I've tried everything under the sun, and no luck. 

I tried installing Orb, but the video playback was choppy and hard to watch. 

Is anyone else having sudden issues with their PS3 not seeing their WHS?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:21 PM
  • My PS3 used to be able to see my WHS, but that ended about 4 weeks ago.  I've tried reinstalled the WMP11 hack, I've tried everything under the sun, and no luck. 

I tried installing Orb, but the video playback was choppy and hard to watch. 

Is anyone else having sudden issues with their PS3 not seeing their WHS?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:22 PM
  •  

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3307332&SiteID=50

Have you tried stoping the Streaming Service, re-booting, then Staring the service again?

Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Sorry it took me awhile to try this - I've been away from my WHS for several days.

I checked that Media Streaming through the console was off, and then I went into WMP11 and turned off media sharing, then rebooted, then turned on media sharing, then rebooted.  Still nothing on the PS3.

According to the Help file in WMP11, media sharing needs the following ports opened in the WHS firewall:

1900 - UDP
    2869 - TCP
    10243 - TCP
    10280-10284 - UDP

I pulled up my Firewall exceptions list and checked these ports. 

Ports TCP 2869 and UDP 1900 are listed in an Exception called "UPnP Framework", while the rest of the ports are listed in multiple exceptions call "Windows Media Connect".  Does this match what others have in their firewall exceptions?
    Monday, May 12, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Bumpetty Bump...

Not at all sure why this thread seems to be locked now, but I ended up installing TwonkyMedia as a media server on my WHS in order to get the streaming to my PS3 working.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 4:15 PM
  •  TimDuncan wrote:
    Won't play any of my AVIs either. Presumably DivX or XviD codec required for these..

Apparently the PS3 does now support DivX and Xvid:

http://www.gizmag.com/ps3-gets-divx-xvid-playback/8545/

Can someone (with WHS and a PS3) confirm that this is the case? I'm about to pick up my new PS3 shortly, and have my toes and fingers crossed that it will!

Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:51 PM
  • With the updated firmware it does play DivX and Xvid files.  However it can sometimes be a bit picky about which ones it plays and it struggles with transport controls (forward/backward).  If all you want to do is play and pause, it mostly seems to work OK.

I imagine things will improve with later firmware updates.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:12 PM