No gateway with OCS 2007 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it true that a gateway device will not be necessary with R2?

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, direct SIP connectivity between Mediation server and ITSP will be supported.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:40 PM
  • I guess the question many people want to ask is:

Will it be possible to trunk Mediation Server to provider like Vonage or Broadvox directly (out of the box) or it will require "Partner" provider?

Drago

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Actually, we are trying to determine whether we need to purchase an expensive gateway device or not. Our situation is we currently have a analog lines coming in and are trying to determine if we should switch to IP-PBX provider and trunk that directly into the server.  I have not found any concrete documentation from Microsoft or any detailed explanation of how it will work.  If anyone can point me to any detailed information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:10 PM
  • Hello, you can try Interroute One

http://www.interouteone.com/

You can connect your OCS 2007 (R1) mediation server directly to their VoIP-cloud. Within that cloud all calls are free and they charge for PSTN/Mobile Inbound-Outbound Calls.

I dont know anything about prices, but they offer a free trial.

Please keep in mind: Microsoft does not support VoIP-Provider Connection with OCS 2007 (R1). I have no information about support plans for R2 and Interroute One.

If you get in contact with them, please ask how they secure the communication between Mediations Server and the service. I like to know that, cause between a Mediation Server and a VoIP-Gateway/Voip-PBX it is SIP over TCP and RTP - zero encryption and authentication per default!

Best regards,

Jan

Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:47 AM
  • Attended a presentation today on OCS R2.  They will support direct SIP trunking via IP-PBX.  So no gateway will be required.  Have to follow up with the security question though.

Friday, November 21, 2008 10:05 PM
  •  There is a new post reporting that (although unsupported) a user has apparently gotten Direct SIP Trunking with an ITSP to work with 2007 RTM:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/communicationsservertelephony/thread/5ef9b77a-6be2-4aee-9b36-826b4158cb3e

I can confirm that this feature will be natively supported in R2.

Jan, regarding the security question I believe SRTP can be used in that scenario, but I think that the ITSP would typically have a Session Border Controller on their network and a VPN tunnel would be established between it and the Mediation server, allowing the use of just regular SIP and RTP for communications.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:45 PM