I have just upgraded my motherboard since my old one got fried, how will I be able to reactivate my Windows 7 Ultimate OS? RRS feed

• Question

• anyone who can help me?

Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:33 AM

Answers

• If it came preinstalled on your computer it depends on whether you replaced the motherboard with the manufacturer's replacement part or you bought an upgrade board of your own choosing.  If the former you can reactivate with Microsoft by phone.  If the latter you will need to purchase a full license copy of Windows.  If you purchased Windows 7 Ultimate seperately (retail) you can simply reactivate.  Please follow the instructions in announcement 1 above so we can tell what you have.

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in your own thread.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:00 AM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:57 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• "sherwinleong" wrote in message news:74c61955-6bb9-4c35-928a-1f18b83dae60...

anyone who can help me?

If your Ultimate is a Retail or upgrade copy, simply use telephone activation.
    This *may* also work if it’s OEM – but it’s at the whim of the operator.
    telephone activation.
    Click on the Start button
    in the Search box, type
    SLUI 4
    and hit the Enter key
    follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:53 AM
  • If it came preinstalled on your computer it depends on whether you replaced the motherboard with the manufacturer's replacement part or you bought an upgrade board of your own choosing.  If the former you can reactivate with Microsoft by phone.  If the latter you will need to purchase a full license copy of Windows.  If you purchased Windows 7 Ultimate seperately (retail) you can simply reactivate.  Please follow the instructions in announcement 1 above so we can tell what you have.

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in your own thread.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:00 AM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:57 PM
    Answerer