none
Windows Mobile 6.5 Synchronization Errors RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I'm trying to synchronize a database from Windows Mobile 6.5/SSCE to SQL Server 2005; the database includes various tables of data, but significantly two of the tables have byte array fields to store and synchronize photographs.

    During my development, I have successfully synchronized data only with the WCF Service running on 'WcfTestClient'; however hit a problem when trying to synchronize the byte arrays. Initially, that turned out to be a sizing issue - sync does now push the photos up to my main database. But the synchronisation does not complete successfully and throws a TargetInvocationException on Windows Mobile.

    I've attempted to trace the errors from the server side, and the service.log indicates two specific errors:

    "The message with To 'http://myhost:8080/MyService/mex/mex' cannot be processed at the receiver, due to an AddressFilter mismatch at the EndpointDispatcher.  Check that the sender and receiver's EndpointAddresses agree."

    Followed by

    "The body of the message cannot be read because it is empty"

    I've searched my source for a 'mex' or 'mex/mex' appearance, but it is only mentioned in the App.config for the service (and only singly, there). I can't see how that would be presented as mex/mex? And I wonder if the empty message is related? 

    Various Google searches have yielded very little; but one clue was to run the service under IIS - I've attemped to do that, but that hasn't really got me any further - still with TargetInvocationExceptions on the Mobile device.

    This is the my first project working with Synchronization and WCF, so forgive me if I've missed something obvious in terms of set up.. but having spent quite some time researching these issues, I don't think I have!

    Help, clues, pointers and guidance would all be very appreciated.

    Thank you.

    James.


    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:02 AM

All replies

  • Those errors look like a bit of a red-herring to my problems. As I've been diagnosing further, I notice the errors appear in the service log file just after the service is started, long before any synchronisation activity takes places. The error I'm encountering now, which seems to be what is causing the synchronisation to fault,  is

    The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request

    The traces show this happening on a message which contains three images. Which in some ways, leads me to believe I'm back at a sizing issue. However, to eliminate any chance of that for now, I've set the various size options in the binding to be 50MB - the images are under 1MB each; In fact, the whole "Message Log Trace" element of the log file is 796KB.


    Friday, November 29, 2013 11:03 AM
  • can you enable sync fx tracing as well?

    also, if you can post the relevant traces from where the first error occurs and backwards...

    Saturday, November 30, 2013 1:55 AM
    Moderator
  • JuneT,

    Thank you very much for your reply and offer of assistance. I was beginning to think I was alone with it!

    After nearly two full works working out how to synchronise my devices up to SQL Server, I think I might have finally cracked it. As I thought it might be, a simple switch to Streamed transfer mode, rather than the default Buffer mode. (i.e. adding transferMode="Streamed" to the binding definition of the app.config.) I was put off from trying that before, as many web pages go in to detail about how to change WCF applications to use streaming, by editing code - that didn't seem right to me, as Sync FX had created it's own code layers for the work.

    I'm not 100% convinced this is a robust and correct solution, so I'm half expecting more failures along the way, but on the positive side, so far, so good - all seems to be synchronising over both wi-fi and cellular networks as I would expect!

    Now to try and catch up on the two lost weeks of my project..

    Thanks again!

    James.

    Monday, December 2, 2013 5:15 PM
  • not sure how moving to Streamed would actually fix the error. in the case of Sync Fx, you need the entire message to process the sync.

    anyway, seeing that you're doing sync with WM, have a look at this blog post i did years ago...

    http://jtabadero.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/sync-framework-wcf-based-synchronization-for-offline-scenario-%e2%80%93-using-custom-dataset-serialization/

    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:26 AM
    Moderator