Problems promoting one machine to be the hub RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two machines in my circle; one is windows xp sp2 professional with OneCare 2.0 installed, and the other is windows vista ultimate sp1 with OneCare 2.0 installed. Both installations of OneCare were activated under the same ID and the xp machine works properly as a hub. The issue is that I cannot get the vista machine to see the xp machine in the circle when it is configured as a hub.

A few things:

• Both machines are on the same home network and both have always on access to the internet and each other.
    • I've reinstalled OneCare on the vista machine, made it a hub, and it still cannot "see" the xp machine.
    • The vista machine originally had the beta version installed, but now it has the release version.

Thanks,

Scott

Sunday, March 30, 2008 8:32 PM

Answers

•  mccudm wrote:

Hi,

I also have 2 machines one running xp sp2 and the other vista home edition.  Everything has worked properly on my wireless network until I rcvd a monthly report from onecare and it corrupted my database.  Then with an online tech assistance the endless loop of online reports interfering with my operations was resolved by doing some command from the command prompt and now I cannot share a printer or manage my onecare circle.  my xp cannot communicate with the vista machine and I cannot make either computer the hub.  When I try to manage my onecare circle and sign-on, I get an error saying " onecare cannot make this pc a hub pc due to unknown problems"

I suspect you may need to reinstall OneCare on the machine that you wish to make a hub, but I recommend that you contact support as your problem was not resolved properly with the first case.

It sounds like your OneCare database is either still corrupt or there is a permissions problem with the database.

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:14 AM

All replies

• I'm going to move this thread to the Multi-PC Management topic.

There have been reports of some Vista hubs not accurately reflecting the status of the monitored machines accurately, but the only time I've seen OneCare not even see the other machine is if the other machine is activated with a different LiveID or not activated at all. When you make a PC into a hub, it gets information about all machines on your subscription from the server. From then on, communication will take place locally between PCs if they are on the same LAN. Since the Vista machine is not updating the list of PCs from the server, I'm going to have to refer you to support unless you're willing to also reinstall OneCare on the XP machine to see if that works.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, March 31, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Sorry about the delay. This would be nice to get cleared up, but it isn't a priority.

I've since added another vista machine to my circle and it is working properly with the first vista machine, so the problem machine is the XP machine. I've observed that in OneCare on the XP machine the machine is refered to as "This PC" instead of by machine name, like the vista machines. I don't know if this is relevant. Even after a complete uninstall/reinstall of OneCare on the XP machine and registering it back into the circle, the machine is still not seen by the vista hub.

The XP machine should be registered properly because it can see the vista machines when I promote it to a hub.

I'll try to contact support and provide this information.

Thanks,

Scott

Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:38 PM
  • That's odd, Scott. Please keep us posted on progress and, hopefully, the solution.

-steve

Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

I also have 2 machines one running xp sp2 and the other vista home edition.  Everything has worked properly on my wireless network until I rcvd a monthly report from onecare and it corrupted my database.  Then with an online tech assistance the endless loop of online reports interfering with my operations was resolved by doing some command from the command prompt and now I cannot share a printer or manage my onecare circle.  my xp cannot communicate with the vista machine and I cannot make either computer the hub.  When I try to manage my onecare circle and sign-on, I get an error saying " onecare cannot make this pc a hub pc due to unknown problems"

Monday, April 14, 2008 7:53 PM
  •  mccudm wrote:

Hi,

I suspect you may need to reinstall OneCare on the machine that you wish to make a hub, but I recommend that you contact support as your problem was not resolved properly with the first case.

It sounds like your OneCare database is either still corrupt or there is a permissions problem with the database.

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:14 AM