One Care ruins my Windows Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• I have this One care subcription for a yr in my Home Premium Vista and after uninstalled this program using their Cleanup tool I can't start and access my Windows Firewall already. It gives me an error, and I noticed that my  Windows Firewall Authorization Driver (mdsdrv.sys) is missing under Device Manager (View>show hidden devices>devices by connection). I think this missing driver is the culprit. Already tried sfc /scannow but cannot repaired all corrupted files. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:11 PM

Answers

• If the uninstall of OneCare and the subsequent run of the cleanup tool caused this on your system, you can contact support for help with correcting the problem. (via email as a trial user)

(EDIT) I'll add that I've *never* heard of this happening with the removal of OneCare in my years of moderating the forums, but anything is possible, of course.(end EDIT)

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Have you tried reinstalling and uninstalling OneCare a second time? When OneCare uninstalls (manually or via the cleanup tool) it restores the Windows Firewall by simply removing an applied Group Policy restriction. As far as I know, it does not disable drivers or mess with the firewall in any other way. It simply prevents it from being active.

Since you were a subscriber, I'll offer the "Unofficial path" - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/74d862dc-26e7-4572-99b5-e37cad486baa

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 9, 2009 4:59 PM

All replies

• If the uninstall of OneCare and the subsequent run of the cleanup tool caused this on your system, you can contact support for help with correcting the problem. (via email as a trial user)

(EDIT) I'll add that I've *never* heard of this happening with the removal of OneCare in my years of moderating the forums, but anything is possible, of course.(end EDIT)

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Have you tried reinstalling and uninstalling OneCare a second time? When OneCare uninstalls (manually or via the cleanup tool) it restores the Windows Firewall by simply removing an applied Group Policy restriction. As far as I know, it does not disable drivers or mess with the firewall in any other way. It simply prevents it from being active.

Since you were a subscriber, I'll offer the "Unofficial path" - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/74d862dc-26e7-4572-99b5-e37cad486baa

I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Friday, January 9, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Contacted the OneCare support but they won't support the expire OneCare product even it gave problem in the Windows after uninstallation. I told them I want to install the trial version and got an error during installation and they don't support either if it's only a trial version....Already heard bad before their support, still nothing change.
    Anyway, my error id: 004480070643 during installation, can't find it in the google. Thanks again.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:46 AM
  • That error typically occurs when you try to reinstall and bits of OneCare are left on the machine.
    Have you tried running the cleanup tool?  

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/399071e2-49dc-4767-932d-d261e3965943/

Support was *wrong* in not supporting you if the problem was due to a bad uninstall of OneCare. Do you have a case ID to provide or did they turn you away at the gate? If the latter, give them another try if the cleanup tool doesn't resolve it. And, you've got my email address if you want to get ahold of me. I tend to be scarce here on weekends.
    -steve

Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Don't have case ID and told me that there is no technical support available then turned me away. I give up for this Steve, I will just use the 3rd party Firewall software anyway. And wait maybe somebody can post on how to reinstall this missing driver (mdsdrv.sys). Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Jepoi said:

Don't have case ID and told me that there is no technical support available then turned me away. I give up for this Steve, I will just use the 3rd party Firewall software anyway. And wait maybe somebody can post on how to reinstall this missing driver (mdsdrv.sys). Thanks for your help.

It really irks me that support turned you away as the problem occurred following the removal of a subscribed copy of OneCare. If I come across an answer for you, I'll update the thread. If you find the answer yourself, I'd appreciate an update here, too. And, if you want to poke support again, I still believe that they owe you.
    -steve
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:15 PM