Server backup fails consistently (error 519) except when disabling client backups. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi there

    I have been running WHS 2011 for a few months now and have been having issues with server backups from day one.


    The WHS2011 reports an unsuccesful backup pretty much every time with the return code of 0 (zero). The backups fails on drive D: (where all my data is incidentally)




    When using wbadmin.msc it shows backups completed with warnings. Error 519. See below.


    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">


    - <System>

      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1DB28F2E-8F80-4027-8C5A-A11F7F10F62D}" />







      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-12-27T02:41:38.667520800Z" />


      <Correlation />

      <Execution ProcessID="4192" ThreadID="6992" />



      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />


    - <EventData>

      <Data Name="BackupTime">2011-12-26T21:30:28.862739200Z</Data>

      <Data Name="FailedVolumeNames">D:</Data>

      <Data Name="ErrorCode">0</Data>

      <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%0</Data>




    During my search on the internet another guy has reported almost exactly the same problem. See








    Client backups succeed every time.


    The only way I seem to be able to run server backups successfully is to disable all client backups. Then server backups seem to succeed pretty much every time.

    I have altered the server backup schedule to see if that helped any but to no avail.

    Another thing I don’t understand is the amount of time it takes to run the server backup. Yesterday I disabled all client backups and the server backup took over 15 hours to complete. Even on days where less than 1Mb of data has changed on client machines, the backup runs for 5+ hours.


    A chkdsk showed no errors on the disks.

    Can anyone throw some light on this? I have run out of ideas.


    Friday, December 30, 2011 1:49 PM

All replies

  • Hi, Bobby

    Event 519 means Backup Set Integrity issue. Please follow this document to solve it.



    Best Regards,


    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:32 AM
  • Hi Junyong

    Thanks for your pointer. Following your advice I took a successful manual backup and let machine take a couple of successful automatic backups. Time to reinstate client backups! Sadly, the result was an error again.

    However, it's was new error message and it might throw some new light on this.


    I found the log files for the backups:

    First the error log: "Backup_Error-06-01-2012_02-05-13.log" (C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup):


    Error in backup of D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\Data.4096.266.dat during read: Error [0x80070015] The device is not ready.

    "The device is not ready" - WHAT? drive consists of 2 identical HDD (1TB each) and set up as a spanned dynamic drive.

    Backup log "Backup-06-01-2012_02-05-13.log" (C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup):



    Backed up D:\System Volume Information\SPP\

    Backed up D:\ServerFolders\Documents\backup errors\20120105\

    Backed up D:\ServerFolders\Documents\backup errors\20120105\manual bakcup.png

    Backed up D:\ServerFolders\Videos\Egne film\TJTS Afrika\

    Backed up D:\ServerFolders\Videos\Egne film\TJTS Afrika\Thumbs.db

    Backed up D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\

    Deleted file D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\S-1-5-21-2106187873-2197389495-4097881208-1013.VolumeConfig.configdat

    Deleted file D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\S-1-5-21-2106187873-2197389495-4097881208-1013.Machine.configdat

    Deleted file D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\S-1-5-21-2106187873-2197389495-4097881208-1013.SYSTEMRESERVED.Volume.dat

    Deleted file D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\S-1-5-21-2106187873-2197389495-4097881208-1013.D.Volume.dat

    Deleted file D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\S-1-5-21-2106187873-2197389495-4097881208-1013.C.Volume.dat

    Deleted file D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\S-1-5-21-2106187873-2197389495-4097881208-1013.BackupSet.dat

    Backed up D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\Data.4096.265.new

    Backed up D:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\Index.4096.dat


    If I understand these logs correctly, it seems the backup is going fine and then suddenly fails.


    What is going on?



    • Edited by BobbyWilson Friday, January 6, 2012 4:00 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Shuja Najmee Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Shuja Najmee Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:24 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 3:56 PM

    Make sure that the combined allocated storage for each VHDs (doesn't matter dynamic or fixed) do not exceed the total size of the physical drive that holds the VHDs. Once you get this right, the event ID 519 should stop and backup should work fine. <o:p></o:p>



    I had a 2TB VHD and a 1TB VHD residing on a 2TB physical drive and that was causing backup failure for me. Even do the VHDs were dynamic and didn't have 60% storage utilization, it still didn't work until I have resized them below 2TB altogether. <o:p></o:p>


    I hope this helps everyone.<o:p></o:p>

    Thanks, Shuja<o:p></o:p>

    Najmee IT Managed Services.<o:p></o:p>


    Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:33 AM