SiteMinder SSO soluton for Thick clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking for SSO solution using SiteMinder for Thick client to be accessed by Internal as well as External user.

Can you please suggest on below -

1. Can we use SiteMinder for above?

2. Are there any challenges?

Thanks,

Chirag

• Moved by Mike Feng Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:10 PM (From:.NET Platform Architecture Development Discussions)
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:46 AM

Answers

• Yes it is possible.

There are two approaches for your problems.

Approach One- Use Site Minder SDK on your desktop client to pass credentials to SiteMinder. The SM agent will add specific(Authorization) HTTP headers to the response with information on the user which can be pulled by your Desktop Client.

Approach Two- Not sure if you can install Site Minder Agent on each client who will take care of authentication and authorization.

As SiteMinder is Computer Associates' product,  it will be good if you can post your question to CA community forum @ https://communities.ca.com/web/guest/community-directory

Lingaraj Mishra

• Proposed as answer by Mike Feng Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, December 13, 2013 3:58 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:15 AM

All replies

• Yes it is possible.

There are two approaches for your problems.

Approach One- Use Site Minder SDK on your desktop client to pass credentials to SiteMinder. The SM agent will add specific(Authorization) HTTP headers to the response with information on the user which can be pulled by your Desktop Client.

Approach Two- Not sure if you can install Site Minder Agent on each client who will take care of authentication and authorization.

As SiteMinder is Computer Associates' product,  it will be good if you can post your question to CA community forum @ https://communities.ca.com/web/guest/community-directory

Lingaraj Mishra

• Proposed as answer by Mike Feng Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, December 13, 2013 3:58 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:15 AM
  • Thanks Lingaraj :),

I read it some where that using SM SDK instead of web agent adds the maintenance overhead with every release. Not sure about it as have never used it.

I had this approach in my mind, SM comes with a web agent can be add a web reference of it on desktop client.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:41 PM
  • AFIK, SM SDK version r12.0 SP2 is quite stable and SM do not release frequently unless until there is revolutionary changes (SAML) or critical defect fixes. As there is no frequent release plan of this SDK, there is little chance- it will influence your application release plan.

I agree- you should go with SM web service way as extending Site Minder functionality or using it in a .net application through SDK will involve learning curve and I just realized that SM SDK is exposed for either C or JAVA language – You can confirm from CA communities.

Lingaraj Mishra

Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Out of curiousity, can you share the type of thick client you would like to front end.

Also curious what type of access are you looking to get with the thick client (i.e. Authentication, Authorization, Step Up Authentication, SSO etc.).

If you wish to take this offline we could do that too.  I'd be happy to help out any way i can.

Denny

denny.prvu@ca.com

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:56 PM
  • Thanks Denny,

Client is in .NET 4.0 winForms and I am looking for SSO soultion using SiteMinder. to be more specific different ways to integrate SiteMinder with above client.

Can you please help me with above. 

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:21 AM
  • Is there any way that you can do the authentication offline? I mean can I access the application even when its offline?

Monday, November 18, 2013 1:44 PM