Windows XP WgaNotify installation failed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am getting the error - Windows XP WgaNotify installation failed.
    Access is denied. Event ID: 4373

OS - XP Pro

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2MDY9-F6J9M-K42BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: jY+nlE0RT38EEXpeUqSdQPABSQc=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: ffe3ed4e-11a2-4f97-80fd-2f335c8e8fde
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.20.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-530-645

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>ffe3ed4e-11a2-4f97-80fd-2f335c8e8fde</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-K42BQ</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1631140218-3793432463-3825619165</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard </Manufacturer><Model>Compaq nx7010 (PL578UA#ABA)     </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>68BAL Ver. F.55</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050714000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>55893307018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>1</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>HP</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>89ACD2082347D02</Val><Hash>k9m+G7v8RWQGWWmDMl8ZvIDtgtc=</Hash><Pid>70141-641-2236087-57766</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{903A0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Project Standard 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>837EDF789241D00</Val><Hash>1V7XCLO3SoEap06xPChUeGlFoEE=</Hash><Pid>72076-640-6855065-55370</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91530409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Visio Standard 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>7DCE6FC520615DA</Val><Hash>v7Lvjg572UFMQQjaOZfwpyA+jKs=</Hash><Pid>72090-749-1439997-55257</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Friday, May 11, 2007 8:46 PM

Answers

• Vamshi,

Please consider running this fix as suggested by Microsoft email support personnel:

This step will reset the permission settings on this system, which may take us some time. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Step 1: Download SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)
    1. Please download the subinacl.msi from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file to install it.
    3. Please select C:\Windows\System32 as the destination folder during the Iinstallation (Note: We assume C:\ is the system partition). Later we will use this tool to reset the current permission settings on the machine.

Step 2:
    -------
    1. Click Start, Run, type: notepad C:\reset.cmd and press Enter. Choose Yes when you are prompted.
    2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
    @Echo Finished.
    @pause

3. After you paste the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Yes when you are prompted to save the file.
    4. Click Start, Run, type: C:\reset.cmd and press Enter to run the commands we have pasted.
    5. You will see a DOS-like window processing the request.

(NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted with "Finished, press any key to continue".)

After completing the above steps, please refer to the Windows Update website to install the update again.

Friday, May 11, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Hi Dan...I followed the above steps...and after I was done..i went to the windows update website and ran updates...I got the following message -

Genuine Windows Validation 
    [ Support ID: 0x800A01B6 ]
    To get updates, you must first validate your Windows software. Validation assures that you are using an authentic and fully licensed copy of Windows.

When I tried to validate  it came up with this error -

Unknown error encountered during Windows validation. The validation service is unable to determine whether your copy of Windows is genuine. Please validate again. If additional attempts result in validation errors you may want to try again later.

I ran the updates again and tried to validate it...I got the following this time...

If you don't see an ActiveX dialogue box or the Internet Explorer Info Bar
    Your Web browser may not configured to run the components or scripts required by the genuine Windows validation process. Please try using this alternate method.

So just before giving up I downloaded and ran this tool -
    WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone

and it worked fine...It validated and when I ran updates it finished successfully..Hope it helps.

Thanks for all your help.

Monday, May 14, 2007 11:14 PM
  • Vamshi,

Thank You for reporting back to tell us your experience with this particular problem and how you fixed it.

I'm sure the WGA staff will incorporate your feedback into future versions of the program.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:58 AM

All replies

• Vamshi,

Please consider running this fix as suggested by Microsoft email support personnel:

This step will reset the permission settings on this system, which may take us some time. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Step 1: Download SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)
    1. Please download the subinacl.msi from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file to install it.
    3. Please select C:\Windows\System32 as the destination folder during the Iinstallation (Note: We assume C:\ is the system partition). Later we will use this tool to reset the current permission settings on the machine.

Step 2:
    -------
    1. Click Start, Run, type: notepad C:\reset.cmd and press Enter. Choose Yes when you are prompted.
    2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo Finished.
    @pause

3. After you paste the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Yes when you are prompted to save the file.
    4. Click Start, Run, type: C:\reset.cmd and press Enter to run the commands we have pasted.
    5. You will see a DOS-like window processing the request.

(NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted with "Finished, press any key to continue".)

After completing the above steps, please refer to the Windows Update website to install the update again.

Friday, May 11, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Hi Dan...I followed the above steps...and after I was done..i went to the windows update website and ran updates...I got the following message -

Genuine Windows Validation 
    [ Support ID: 0x800A01B6 ]
    To get updates, you must first validate your Windows software. Validation assures that you are using an authentic and fully licensed copy of Windows.

When I tried to validate  it came up with this error -

Unknown error encountered during Windows validation. The validation service is unable to determine whether your copy of Windows is genuine. Please validate again. If additional attempts result in validation errors you may want to try again later.

I ran the updates again and tried to validate it...I got the following this time...

If you don't see an ActiveX dialogue box or the Internet Explorer Info Bar
    Your Web browser may not configured to run the components or scripts required by the genuine Windows validation process. Please try using this alternate method.

So just before giving up I downloaded and ran this tool -
    WindowsXP-KB905474-ENU-x86-Standalone

and it worked fine...It validated and when I ran updates it finished successfully..Hope it helps.

Thanks for all your help.

Monday, May 14, 2007 11:14 PM
  • Vamshi,

Thank You for reporting back to tell us your experience with this particular problem and how you fixed it.

I'm sure the WGA staff will incorporate your feedback into future versions of the program.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:58 AM