Running Scheduled Sync as a new user RRS feed

• Question

• I know need to change the username and password that the scheduled sync was installed and runs under.  I was getting a scheduled task last result of 0x1
    So next I logged in as the new user I was trying to change to and had to do the EULA for that user, but then that user can not see the existing folder pairs.  How can I get this user to see them so that I do not have to resync tens of thousands of files?  Is there a place to change where to point the see and use another SyncToyDirPairs.bin file?

Thanks,     Jim
    Monday, November 2, 2009 10:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,
         Sorry for delay reply your question, but hope this still could be helpful.
    SyncToy 2.0/2.1 will just look into current user's [LocalApplicationData] folder for getting folder pairs info and activity status. It is by design.
    For your problem, I think here are a few suggestion solutions:
           1) Create one common user account, let all of the user share this account, both folder pairs and action will be kept same.

2) You can create different individual folder pairs for each user for the same left and right folders/files, as SyncToy 2.x support you create more folder pairs for same folders. Just exclude hidden files & *.dat files (GUID.dat files in real folder are used by syncToy for management purpose).

3) For the second user, you can copy SyncToyDirPairs.bin file from another user 's [LocalApplicationData] path, then run once through UI, you will see the folder pairs which were created by that user. **NOTICE**, this is a trick, SyncToy 2.x do not support this way officially, I could not promise you avoiding data loss, you need to be careful for using this way.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Friday, November 27, 2009 6:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:14 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 6:24 AM

All replies

• Well I searched the registry to see if I could find where it tells the path to check for sync pairs, but no luck.
    I have to get this repointed very soon, any ideas at all?

Thanks,    Jim
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Hi Jim,
         Sorry for delay reply your question, but hope this still could be helpful.
    SyncToy 2.0/2.1 will just look into current user's [LocalApplicationData] folder for getting folder pairs info and activity status. It is by design.
    For your problem, I think here are a few suggestion solutions:
           1) Create one common user account, let all of the user share this account, both folder pairs and action will be kept same.

2) You can create different individual folder pairs for each user for the same left and right folders/files, as SyncToy 2.x support you create more folder pairs for same folders. Just exclude hidden files & *.dat files (GUID.dat files in real folder are used by syncToy for management purpose).

3) For the second user, you can copy SyncToyDirPairs.bin file from another user 's [LocalApplicationData] path, then run once through UI, you will see the folder pairs which were created by that user. **NOTICE**, this is a trick, SyncToy 2.x do not support this way officially, I could not promise you avoiding data loss, you need to be careful for using this way.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Friday, November 27, 2009 6:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:14 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 6:24 AM