questions on sleep and power modes and applications RRS feed

• Question

• have a couple of questions regarding power modes and getting in / out of them:

1)  i have read that even if you put your WHS in sleep mode it will wake up on its own about every 30 min due to SBcore services running....but i have manually put my WHS into sleep and it stays there until i wake it up (24+ hours)...so what am i missing here or has MSFT changed this so you no longer need to disable SB core?

2) i am looking at installing the LightsOut add-in to put my WHS into/out of sleep mode automatically.  the LightsOut manual says you also need to install  someting on the clients. i don't understand why you do this as the clients currently seem to be brought out of sleep, do their backup and are put back to sleep just fine with the standard WHS options.  Why do i need to now install an additional app via LightsOut on the client?

thanks

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Microsoft haven't changed anything, if your system works, it's been changed somehow though - just enjoy it!

If you use the LightsOut Add-In, it provides other functionality, that is, it has the ability to have a Client wake up the server automatically when you start using the Client, this is not releated to the backup operation so can be useful if for example, you need access to your Shared Folders when the Server would otherwise have been asleep.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:19 PM