Glossary of Terms RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know where I can find/download a glossary of terms? I am trying to work out what the columns in the portfolio section mean and how they are calculated.
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:33 AM

All replies

• When in Money (at least in US Money Deluxe Sunset) you can click on Help (the ? in a circle in the upper right) and search for Glossary.  This gives a glossary of many terms, including the various portfolio columns.

Bill Becker

Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:10 AM
  • My little glossary would not include what you want. You may find this to be of use:

Portfolio Columns Useable Without the Microsoft Servers

Without downloads from the Microsoft servers, many Portfolio columns continue to work because the values are computed from transaction history and quotes.  Quotes can be entered by hand, or you can use the MoneySense scripts to download quotes.  Most other columns will no longer work, because the data for those is downloaded rather than computed from history and price quotes. Here are columns that I find to be useful, and which work without the Microsoft servers.

Symbol, Name, LastPrice, Quantity, MarketValue, Gain, PriceAppreciation PriceAppreciation, TotalAnnualizedReturn, TotalReturn-1Week, TotalReturn-4Weeks, TotalReturn-3Month,TotalReturn-YTD, TotalReturn-3Month,TotalReturn-YTD, TotalReturn-1Year, TotalReturn-3Year, TotalReturn-AllDates, LastTransactionDate, Memo, %OfPortfolio, AverageCost, Commissions, Currency, CurrencyCode.

There are probably some others related to options that will also work.

Some columns, such as %Change and TotalChange will show blank. Others, such as DividendYield and LastTransaction, will display stale data.

I recommend that you configure to not use the "%Gain" column.  There
    are so many useful columns available in the Portfolio, and for me
    "%Gain" is not one.

The main difference  between % Gain and Total Return All (TR all)
    appears to differ if sales have been made.
    Both appear to take dividends into account. If showing sold securities,
    %gain can go negative ... buy at 100, sell at 1, big negative.

So total return ~? value/(spent-returned)  ??
    % gain ~?  gain/ remainingBasis

test buy 100 at $10.00
    Sell 99 at $10.10
    %gain says 100%  TR All says 1%

Thursday, September 27, 2018 11:39 AM
  • Also %port, Last Price, Change and Total Change works for me.

Monday, October 8, 2018 9:10 AM