I want to backup my shares to reduce the power assupmtion of HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I understand many members are doing various backup for their shared folders and here is my thoughts on it.

I have 16 HDDs and about 11TB data in total. I found that about 5TB is in duplicated folder for redundency. Most of these HDDs used in duplicate are not used and just spinning 24x7 and consumes power. I am thinking that if I can stopping using thoese HDDs I may be able to save some electricity.  However I still want to backup all my data which doesn't really change often because those are most photos, musics and movies. I don't want to load those from originals because that will take huge amount of time.

Here is my thought and any suggestions will be appreciated.

I would like to set up another system at my house which will be responsible to backup the shared folder of WHS so that I can reduce the HDDs used in WHS. The Backup server will be started once a day for backup. The original backlup may take time for backing up all contents in shared folder. But incremental backup will be quicker. So here are the requirments for the back up server.

1) The backup application should be able to use pool of drives since no single disk can hold 5T of data.
    2) Incremental backup.
    3) The recover process can be initiated from WHS in case HDD in WHS fails.

I don't want to NAS since I don't want to spend more in buying NAS enclosures and I have spare parts to build a server machine.

ANy other suggestions are really appreciated.  
    • Changed type Dcdyd Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:47 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hi

Have you thought about using some external HDD's connected to the WHS e.g. USB2 or firewire drives. You can then perform a Server Backup of the folders onto the external drives then remove the folder duplication. All you would then need to do is turn on the external drives every week or so and perform another server backup - this will ensure that you have copies of the files but dont need the disks spinning 24/7.

I do this for several of my shares which dont change very often

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi

Have you thought about using some external HDD's connected to the WHS e.g. USB2 or firewire drives. You can then perform a Server Backup of the folders onto the external drives then remove the folder duplication. All you would then need to do is turn on the external drives every week or so and perform another server backup - this will ensure that you have copies of the files but dont need the disks spinning 24/7.

I do this for several of my shares which dont change very often

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Since no backup app does what you want......we will put this on the WHS wishlist.  Other than using green hard drives, using the backup solution that is curently available in WHS seems like a winner.

Still.....

Grey
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:54 PM
  •  Managing external HDDs is another task. It is preferred to be automatic. 
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:51 PM
  •  
    Still Grey said:

Since no backup app does what you want......we will put this on the WHS wishlist.  Other than using green hard drives, using the backup solution that is curently available in WHS seems like a winner.

Still.....

Grey

Thanks. I am thinking to setup another WHS for using its drive pool feature and use SyncToy to do backup. I remember that there is post that described how to configure WHS so that it only boots at particular time for scheduled task. Does this seem to be doable?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:53 PM