Flashing BIOS on a WHS-2011 PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have need to flash the BIOS on my WHS machine.  It's based on a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H mobo.  The options are

1) Flash from the BIOS

2) Flash from a Floppy (DOS)

3) Flash from Windows.

In that I don't (currently) have a floppy drive hooked to that mobo, I'd like to reserve that as my last option - eliminating options 1&2.  The @BIOS utility provided by Gigabyte lists all of the consumer versions of Windows, but NOT WHS or the various flavors of Windows server.

So - what are my options?

Thanks in advance...

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:13 PM

Answers

• In general, try to do whatever is totally independent of the operating system - Option 1 you suggested seems ideal. From your motherboard manual:

4-2-1 Updating the BIOS with the Q-Flash Utility

A. Before You Begin:

1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your
    motherboard model.
    2. Extract the file and save the new BIOS file (e.g. ma69gms2h.f1) to your floppy disk, USB flash
    drive, or hard drive. Note: The USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by dj4005 Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:13 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:27 PM

All replies

• In general, try to do whatever is totally independent of the operating system - Option 1 you suggested seems ideal. From your motherboard manual:

4-2-1 Updating the BIOS with the Q-Flash Utility

A. Before You Begin:

1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your
    motherboard model.
    2. Extract the file and save the new BIOS file (e.g. ma69gms2h.f1) to your floppy disk, USB flash
    drive, or hard drive. Note: The USB flash drive or hard drive must use FAT32/16/12 file system.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by dj4005 Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:13 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Mission accomplished!

Thank goodness I'm a packrat and still have a couple of floppy drives and cables hanging around.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:14 PM