Sync My Documents between XP and Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Live Mesh looks like a great product, but it seems to be missing one important function: the ability to sync My Documents between XP and Vista.

I run an IT helpdesk company focused on the home market. We have thousands of clients with very diverse configurations.  A very common scenario is that a client has an existing desktop PC and then purchases a laptop. They want the files on the two platforms to be the same. Mesh would seem ideal, except we cannot use it in most of these cases.

The older desktop PC is almost always running XP, the newer laptop is almost always on Vista.  We need to sync “My Documents” on the XP machine with “Documents”, “Pictures” and “Music” on Vista, but we cannot because “My Pictures” etc are sub folders of “My Documents”. Mesh cannot deal with this kind of recursive setup. Mesh needs to untangle this (much as copy does when you copy files from an XP My Documents to a Vista Documents) and let the documents on the two machines be the same without having to select which folders are synced, just a simple command to make the two machines the same, that’s what real (non-geek) clients want.

I am hoping that someone in this group is going to tell me I am missing the point and there is a real easy way to do this.

What is more, normal none geeky humans look at us like we are crazy when they ask for their email to be the same on two PCs and we start to talk about pop servers, how some ISPs do not support imap, how imap does not sync contacts, how there are third party product for syncing on the local lan and how hosted exchange requires them take out a monthly subscription.  They a get a look in their eye that says they whole computer industry must be a bunch of idiots for not having got this stuff sorted out straight out of the box, and I sympathise with them.

Mesh needs a simple option to “synchronize these two machines!”, files, emails, contacts, the lot (maybe even programs one day). No detailed config, just a one button to sync.

So, if you have found a way to sync XP My Documents and Vista Documents, let me know.

Friday, April 24, 2009 7:12 PM

Answers

• You are correct. If you set Live Mesh on Machine #1 at the \My Documents level and that folder contains multiple subfolders, any device that Meshes with this folder will get the entire folder and structure as presented. You would not be able to point subfolders to different locations on a device as the entire structure is the Mesh folder.

I recommend that you have look at this post and vote or file a suggestion on this:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 27, 2009 1:33 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem as use different logons on different XP Machines. It depends on applications but some see a different path for things like file related paths as the logon changes. The only solution I have found with Mesh is to have a dedicated mesh folder outside the logon (local drive). Then Mesh happily replicates to the same path everywher, but that doesn't help with My Docs

- Robin
    Friday, April 24, 2009 10:04 PM
  • You are correct. If you set Live Mesh on Machine #1 at the \My Documents level and that folder contains multiple subfolders, any device that Meshes with this folder will get the entire folder and structure as presented. You would not be able to point subfolders to different locations on a device as the entire structure is the Mesh folder.

I recommend that you have look at this post and vote or file a suggestion on this:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 27, 2009 1:33 PM