none
CRM 2011 custom workflow activity not available

Question

• I created and registed an assembly that contains both custom plugins and custom workflows for CRM 2011, using the CRM SDK "plug-in registration tool".  The registration executes succussfully, and I am also able to successfully register the plugins for events.  I have confirmed that this was successful.  I have also set all custom workflow activities in the assembly with a "Name" and "Group Name" as described in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg328515.aspx

When I initially created this assembly, the custom workflow activities showed up in the "Workflow Designer".  When I create a workflow in CRM, I am able to select the custom workflow activities and add them to my CRM workflows.

Next,  I updated the custom plugin assembly and added a new custom workflow activity.  I then used the plugin registration tool to update the plugin assembly, and created name and group name properties to the new custom workflow activity.  The plugin registration succeeded without any errors or warnings.

At this point, the new custom workflow assembly does not show up in the CRM workflow designer.  What I am referring to the screen taht allows me to create a workflow in CRM and add and configure "steps" to the workflow.  In order to access the custom workflow activity, I should be able to clikc the "Add Step" button (which is a drop down list) on the toolbar and then select my custom workflow activity to be added.  This activity should show up as a "subitem" on the dropdown list, whose name matches the "Group name" that I assigned to my custom workflow activity during the registration process.
    However, the new item is not available.

I have tried using the plugin registration tool to unregister the assembly and then register is "from scratch" but nothing is successful.  I have looked in my CRM solution (that contains my custom entities and workflows) and examined the "Plug-in Assemblies" component (available in the left-hand navigation tree in my solution) and the custom plugins and workflows all show up, INCLUDING the workflow activity that is failing to appear in the workflow designer.

What diagnostics do you recommend to troubleshoot this issue?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Larry.

Today, one of the developers in my team came up with the same problem.

As he wasn't able to find out what was happening, I tried to help him.

After 2 hours of digging into the code and everything, I understood and found where the problem was.

1) Validate that <CRM App folder>\CRMWeb\Bin folder doesn't have the workflow project DLL

2) Validate that <CRM App folder>\Server\bin\assembly folder doesn't have the workflow project DLL

3) If any of the above is true, then after removing them restart the iis and the Asyn process and reload the process designer

I hope this is helpful and if yes, please vote as helpful :)

Dynamics CRM Certified Consultant (MB2-631,632,633)
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:43 AM
  • Hi Larry,

If you are not using clustered environment then simply Reset IIS and then restart Asyc service. This will hopefully fix your issue. I have seen this before and IIS reset worked for me.

Hope this helps,

Ayaz Ahmad CRM Solutions Architect | http://ayazahmad.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Larry,

If you are not using clustered environment then simply Reset IIS and then restart Asyc service. This will hopefully fix your issue. I have seen this before and IIS reset worked for me.

Hope this helps,

Ayaz Ahmad CRM Solutions Architect | http://ayazahmad.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:53 PM
  • Hi Larry.

Today, one of the developers in my team came up with the same problem.

As he wasn't able to find out what was happening, I tried to help him.

After 2 hours of digging into the code and everything, I understood and found where the problem was.

1) Validate that <CRM App folder>\CRMWeb\Bin folder doesn't have the workflow project DLL

2) Validate that <CRM App folder>\Server\bin\assembly folder doesn't have the workflow project DLL

3) If any of the above is true, then after removing them restart the iis and the Asyn process and reload the process designer

I hope this is helpful and if yes, please vote as helpful :)

Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:43 AM
  • Thanks to everyone who gave the solution. This post helped me :)
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:42 AM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem.

1) I've created a custom workflow assembly a month ago and when I deployed it I could see my workflow activity (Class) in the workflow designer (Add Step).

2) After a month now I've added another workflow activity ( Class) to the same assembly and I deployed it again. I dont see this activity in the designer while doing an "Add Step". I find only the activity in the step 1.

Deployment : Database

Making use of CRM Developer Toolkit for creating the workflow package.

So I've tried the work around (Restart IIS and Asyn service)mentioned in this thread but none of them seem to work for me.

Can someone help me with this issue.

Thanks.

Friday, November 30, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Hi crmsurfer,

If you look, there's a second possible solution above. What could be happening in this case is that you haven't overwritten the previous Dll, but instead you have created a new copy.

Is it possible that the previous time the Dll wasn't registered in DB mode? Or that you copied the Dll in the bin folder?

I'd also recommend to do a quick file find in the file system inside the CRM application folder.

Hope this is helpful,

Ale

Saturday, December 01, 2012 10:57 PM
  • I believe I've solved it.

I did deleted the key associated with the project and re-created the key and deployed the solution. This resolved the issue and I was able to see my second workflow activity in the workflow designer.

• Proposed as answer by crmsurfer Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

It was the same case for me. But when I unregistered the plugin and registered it again all the ativities started listing.

Only disadvantage is that whatever steps already created has to be created from the scratch. Is there any way to avoid this?

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

updating the Assembly version should do the trick...

http://blog.philipverlinden.be/uncategorized/newly-added-custom-workflow-activity-not-showing-when-adding-a-new-step/

Best regards,
    Philip

Monday, April 28, 2014 9:21 AM