Potential Customer - Lead/Account/Contact? RRS feed

• Question

• In the CRM 4.0 Account and Contact are presented as Customer entities.

Lead is presented as Potential customer entity.

Account, COntact entitites have many system related entities as Opportunities, Incidents, Quotes, Invoices, etc.

Lead does not have such relations.

But our company needs to register incidents from potential customers, process opportunities with potential customers, prepare quote for potential customers.

Which solution is better?

SHould we use the Lead or Contact entity?

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:50 PM

Answers

• I meant to use the term Customer Type Code.  This is a picklist field that you can use to identify the various types of Accounts that you have and set workflows, integration, reports, etc to perform based on the picklist selection.  This works extremely well for many organizations.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:27 PM

All replies

• I recommend using Account and identify Accounts as Potential Customers using the Relationship Type field.  You can then run reports that show you all Opportunities, quotes, incidents etc. that are associated with the Account Relationship type of 'Potential Customer' or what some refer to as "Prospects".

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:31 PM
  • An alternative view of Leads is as an unqualified potential customer. An example might be a business card picked up at a trade show. One would use CRM to track the activities performed in qualifying the Lead which is then converted to an Account/Contact/Opportunity.

If your sales leads are already qualified then you can ignore the Lead entity altogether.

Leon Tribe
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:07 PM
  • The thing is that in our case Accounts are reserved as Current Customers - this entity is syncronized with other System.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:13 AM
  • Yes, I have a similar situation where Accounts are synchronized with Great Plains and we set a condition in the synchronization process to synchronize only Accounts that have a relationship type of Client or Customer.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:13 PM
  •  

The Organization I just finished had a similiar problem, what I did was all NEW clients were considered leads and any buisness from exsisting customers it would be an Opportunity they seem to be doing fine with this method.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:32 PM
  • But the Opportunity can not exist without related Customer type record - either Account or Contact, can it?

Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Using the Relationship Type to designate Accounts as Clients, Prospects, etc. works really well and you can build criteria in your integration to only integrate Accounts that are Clients or Customers.  This provides rich reporting as well because you can see to what type of Accounts you are selling.  You can also set up workflows that move an Account to a client when an Opportunity is won if that is the criteria you set for making an Account a Client.

This method works really well for several companies and is a solid design that scales well.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:46 AM
  • Donna, what do you mean under "relationship type" - the customer relationship entity?

Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:41 AM
  • I meant to use the term Customer Type Code.  This is a picklist field that you can use to identify the various types of Accounts that you have and set workflows, integration, reports, etc to perform based on the picklist selection.  This works extremely well for many organizations.

Thursday, January 8, 2009 3:27 PM