Client computer backups RRS feed

• Question

• I just had a hard drive failure where 4 years of client computer backups were stored. Is there a place i.e. Server Backup, where those files reside other than the server folder? Also, if I can recover those files, how do I introduce them into the temp ares I have created?

• Edited by wdoaz Sunday, August 16, 2015 3:36 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 3:34 PM

Answers

• If you did not select the volume containing the client computer backups for server backup during configuration they will not be backed up and there is no duplication, since usually only either the server or the client breaks, but not both at the same time. (Assuming Murphy isn't in position.) What does the backup log say?

Size may also matter (client backups may grow large and finally be larger than the maximum capacity supported by Server backup, at least if you have source volumes larger than 2 TB), and external drives are eventually slow (especially if connected with USB 2.0 ports), so a backup may never complete if going from one external to another external disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, August 17, 2015 2:56 PM

All replies

• If when you set up your Server Backup you set it to back up your "Client Computer Backups", then they should be located on your external server backup drive. You should be able to restore them from the backup using the Dashboard.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, August 16, 2015 9:19 PM
  • I'm Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain my problem correctly. My server is working fine. One of my external hard drives, the one that contained the "Client Computer Backups" Folder has failed. It also had the "Pictures" server folder, but I have a duplicate on another PC. Looking at my Server backup, THAT drive does not appear as one of the drives that is available perhaps because it was an external drive. I had 2 2tb External drives hooked up to the server for the larger files, but neither shows up on the Server Restore folders area. Is there perhaps another place maybe on the server disk image itself where there is a compressed file?
    • Edited by wdoaz Sunday, August 16, 2015 10:40 PM
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 10:39 PM
  • If you did not select the volume containing the client computer backups for server backup during configuration they will not be backed up and there is no duplication, since usually only either the server or the client breaks, but not both at the same time. (Assuming Murphy isn't in position.) What does the backup log say?

Size may also matter (client backups may grow large and finally be larger than the maximum capacity supported by Server backup, at least if you have source volumes larger than 2 TB), and external drives are eventually slow (especially if connected with USB 2.0 ports), so a backup may never complete if going from one external to another external disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, August 17, 2015 2:56 PM
  • Thank you
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:21 PM