Issues with importing contacts in CRM Online 2013 .... RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on my new CRM which was installed over the weekend and I am having trouble with the import contacts feature. I am quite experienced with importing contacts from lists in the 2011 version. Here is the issue.

I imported a .csv file which mapped correctly, last name of the contact was <Ambrose>. I had no contact with that last name in the database. When I checked the import status (now under settings, I found that) is said it was not uploaded because a duplicate was found. There was definitely no Ambrose in my database. I did it again, same result.

Then I imported a third time, but checked the button to allow duplicates and it was imported correctly. I checked and I only have this one contact with last name Ambrose. I then checked to see if I had two contacts with his Email address and there was no duplicate. Sometimes people give their email address to an assistant so they can screen their Email, but not the case here.

Looks like a bug. Anyone else having this issue on the CRM Online 2013?

Thanks.

Monday, November 4, 2013 7:42 PM

Answers

• Well, I'll be. I checked the duplicate detection rules and found out they are all new as of the date of my upgrade. My rules were not saved, apparently. And one of the duplicate detection rules was a simple first name match. How stupid is that? What the heck are they thinking? So if I had another James or Scott in the database, no go! Here's a screenshot.

I don't have time now, but tomorrow, I'll look over the rules and create reasonable new ones, that should clear things up.

I hope.

• Marked as answer by john_oberweis Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:16 PM
    Monday, November 4, 2013 9:32 PM

All replies

• OK, it's a bug.

Just so you know, I am going slowly, trying to get used to the new layouts, so I created a .csv format and imported one contact at a time. This happened again. The contact was definitely NOT in my database, I submitted the .csv normally leaving do not allow dupes checked and it came back error: duplicate detected. I did it again checking allow duplicates, and the second contact imported perfectly. Checking afterwards, he's there, but no duplicate.

If Microsoft folks are monitoring this, you have a bug in 2013 in the Import Contacts functionality. I don't know where else to report it.

Thanks!

Monday, November 4, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Is there an inactive record that might be a match?

Bugs get logged at: https://connect.microsoft.com/

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Monday, November 4, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Is there an inactive record that might be a match?

Bugs get logged at: https://connect.microsoft.com/

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Nope. Good suggestion, but I checked. I also just chose a third contact to upload, last name <Schropp>. Prior to the upload I checked both active and inactive contacts and there was none. Import failed saying there was a dupe. Then I imported allowing dupes and it went through, and I checked and there is only one Schropp in my database.

It's a bug. Used to work fine, I did some importing last week on 2011. They moved me over to 2013 last night. Now it's not working. I've imported a TON, I use that function a lot. It's whacked.

Ledgeview is my sales partner by the way! :) Say hello to Kevin Brown for me!

John

Monday, November 4, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Well, I'll be. I checked the duplicate detection rules and found out they are all new as of the date of my upgrade. My rules were not saved, apparently. And one of the duplicate detection rules was a simple first name match. How stupid is that? What the heck are they thinking? So if I had another James or Scott in the database, no go! Here's a screenshot.

I don't have time now, but tomorrow, I'll look over the rules and create reasonable new ones, that should clear things up.

I hope.

• Marked as answer by john_oberweis Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:16 PM
    Monday, November 4, 2013 9:32 PM