Can't restore files and folders from RDP RRS feed

• Question

• I connected my laptop to my Vail test server last night and let it do a full backup. This morning, I went to check the backup via the Dashboard inside a RDP connection from one of my PCs. I'm getting the message:

"The requested operation can not be performed. The operation is an administrative task that can only be run from a client computer that is joined to the network. To run this task, open the Dashboard from a client computer that is joined to the network."

This makes no sense. I should be able to open a backup and retrieve files from a RDP session from a non connected computer. If the laptop had died overnight after the backup completed, there would be no way to recover any files without first restoring the laptop.  

Saturday, May 1, 2010 1:28 PM

Answers

• Yes, we do know about this feature (or rather the lack of it), but unfortunately did not make it. It is also currently not planned to be in future releases.

Couple of comments though. If your laptop died you should be able to do a full system restore of that from your backups. If the laptop is the only client you have then this particular problem is definitely a pain. The second comment I have is, although RDP is a nice test scenario and interesting for advanced users, Vail is intended to be a headless server accessed only from the dashboard running on a client.  

As I mentioned we do know about this potential gap, and wanted to get this feature in, but given our perinneal resource/time constraints and the comments stated above it was cut.

You should definitely bug it and let people vote on it.

Thanks

-Bodhi 

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:08 PM

All replies

• Could you please submit a bug report on Connect ?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Yes, we do know about this feature (or rather the lack of it), but unfortunately did not make it. It is also currently not planned to be in future releases.

Couple of comments though. If your laptop died you should be able to do a full system restore of that from your backups. If the laptop is the only client you have then this particular problem is definitely a pain. The second comment I have is, although RDP is a nice test scenario and interesting for advanced users, Vail is intended to be a headless server accessed only from the dashboard running on a client.  

As I mentioned we do know about this potential gap, and wanted to get this feature in, but given our perinneal resource/time constraints and the comments stated above it was cut.

Thanks

-Bodhi 

Bodhi Deb - MSFT
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Bug report submitted. Connect ID is 556321.
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:31 PM

Thanks

-Bodhi 

Bodhi Deb - MSFT

The point is, that it could be several days before the laptop could be up and running again if ever, and we need to be able to access the individual files and folders regardless of whether the computer is connected to the Vail server. We should be able to open backups from the Vail desktop Dashboard via RDP. I thought this one of the new features of Vail? The ability to access single files and folders via backups from computers that were no longer connected.
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:48 PM