WHS console and Jumboframes RRS feed

• Question

• When I enable Jumboframes on my WHS NIC, I can't connect to it from my PC through WHS Console (access to shared folder works OK) ...I get this message:

"This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

If I disable Jumboframes, it works like a charm ?? - I have Intel PRO/1000 NIC i both the server and my PC, with the latest drivers, and I did try to experimenting on adjusting the Jumboframe size on both computers, no luck ....it seems like my PC will NOT connect if Jumboframes is enabled on the server !!!!

Anyone else tried this ???

Saturday, February 7, 2009 10:05 AM

All replies

• I am using a shuttle G31 with an onboard Marvell 88E8056 gigabyte NIC. It is connected to a dlink DIR-655 router. I have enabled 9014 byte jumbo frames. It works fine but I have not really noticed much of a performance difference.

Paul
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Hi,
    not each network performance optimization will work in each environment. There are other components, like the switch or the other side of the network connection, which may have difficulties with those.
    You can try to upgrade the network drivers on the client and on the server. If this doesn't help there is not much you can do besides starting to change the hardware.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 2:18 PM
  • Thanks, I'll try to get another switch and see if that helps
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

Most home routers can't handle jumbo frames. I too have a DIR 655, which i bought becasue it has the 4port gigabit switch and it can also pass through jumbo frames.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 5:12 PM
  • I have the D-Link DIR-655 router as well, but when I try the jumbo frames settings I cannot connect to the console either. I tried both sizes and neither worked. It isn't just the router though, but also the NIC on the sending station and the NIC on the receiver end as well. I do some large file transfers and was hoping that I could speed along that process but so far I have not had much luck. I need to so more research on the products and drivers on all items in my network and then make the necessary changes if the hardware is compatible.
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 10:17 PM