windows 7 home premium - formated hard drive and erased recovery files RRS feed

• Question

• hi, i formated my hard drive and erased recovery files.
    not something i'm not used to do, the problem is that i could not get a version on the original language witch i bought the pc.
    not a problem i got an english version instead. i got the home premium N version, and i am seeing in some forums that i can use an OEM key on a N version since the only difference is software the N version doesn't have embedded right? but still, i am getting "product key will not work with this version" . 

i bought the pc in other country, and my question is what is keeping me from activating the OS?
    the language issue? (bought a win 7 in portuguese language and reinstalled an english version) or,

the version issue? (bought win 7 home premium and installed win 7 home premium N)

other issue i am unaware of? lol

well if it is the language how can i get a different one? if it is the version issue the same question, where to get a different one?

i want official ones, anyone can get "unofficial" but i have a key and i would like it to be used....

thank you  

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:36 PM

Answers

•  

i bought the pc in other country, and my question is what is keeping me from activating the OS?
    the language issue? (bought a win 7 in portuguese language and reinstalled an english version) or,

the version issue? (bought win 7 home premium and installed win 7 home premium N)

Most likely, Both.

It is my understanding that 'Windows 7 Home Premium' and '7 Home Premium N' are two different Products as far as Product keys are concerned.  A key for one will not work in the other.

It is also my understanding that Windows Product Key are Language Specific meaning a Product key for Portuguese will not work in English Windows.

I recommend posting in the Windows 7 Answers Forums for any additional information regarding how to properly change Windows from one language to another. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, April 4, 2011 7:52 PM

All replies

• An OEM product key does not work with a retail copy of Windows of any flavor.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:38 AM
    Answerer
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:e4190e3f-94a1-413e-9775-2c958d47b20d...
    An OEM product key does not work with a retail copy of Windows of any flavor.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Colin.
    Vista and Win 7 Retail disks will accept OEM System Builder and COA_SLP Keys happily. I frequently use this method to reinstall client's computers when the recovery disks/partitions are not available.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:17 AM
  •  

Most likely, Both.

It is my understanding that 'Windows 7 Home Premium' and '7 Home Premium N' are two different Products as far as Product keys are concerned.  A key for one will not work in the other.

It is also my understanding that Windows Product Key are Language Specific meaning a Product key for Portuguese will not work in English Windows.

I recommend posting in the Windows 7 Answers Forums for any additional information regarding how to properly change Windows from one language to another. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, April 4, 2011 7:52 PM