Network Drivers not Installed on Restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a new Dell XPS M1330 laptop and thought I would check that I could restore the system from my WHS backup BEFORE I encountered any problems. Booting from the Restore CD was fine but my ethernet controller was not found (Broadcom NetLink). I inserted the flash drive with the drivers WHS says I need, including the correct driver for the Broadcom ethernet (b57nd60a.sys).

Unfortunately after scanning the drive no ethernet controller shows up and of course the system can't find my Home Server!!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Phil
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:02 PM

Answers

• Excellent - 32bit drivers worked fine. It's a shame that WHS doesn't point this out when creating the driver folder!

Thanks for your help.

Phil
    • Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Friday, December 5, 2008 2:57 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2008 2:56 AM

All replies

• Phil,

All the necessary drivers are available inside any backup for that Client in a folder named Drivers for Computer Restore. These should be copied to your USB stick and this then inserted at the point after booting when the Restore CD shows that it's detected your hardware. You will then need to manually start the scan for the drivers.

I must say, even though I've run the Restore CD on all my CLients to ensure operation, I've set up one machine with an external dock and use the Client Restore Wizard, which is included in the WHS folder, to restore all Client drives. It's quicker, it means the particular Client possibly doesn't have to be changed - eg wireless to wired - and works for Clients which operate off-site but have a drive failure. ( One of the kids away at school).

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Colin

Thanks for you reply. With regard to your first paragraph, that's exactly what I have done! Even though the drivers are on the stick, for some reason they are not loaded! Any more ideas?

As for your second para, I have not used the Restore Wizard. Are you saying you run it on another machine or from a remote desktop into the WHS? I can't see how it can work if the "dead" client can't boot/connect to the WHS?

Phil
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Phil,

OK, do you all the appropriate extracted drivers - including .inf, etc.

Re my second comment, what I've got is just an external dock eSATA connected to my own desktop Client. By using the Restore Wizard, you can choose any backup for any Client and restore it to the docked drive. So, for example, the kid's laptop drive fails (away at school), I pop a new 2.5 drive in the dock, run the Wizard and selct her latest backup and it just builds her a new drive which I then ship to her. The Client I use has no influence one way or another - it's just a mechanism for achieving the end result.

I have ended up finding this quicker than going through the Restore CD route on a failed Client.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Colin

Yes, the folder has b57nd60a.cat, .inf, .PNF, .sys and component.man files. I have confirmed that these are the correct drvers for the ethernet card in Device Manager and they were sourced from the laptop backup! Any more ideas?

Second para - now I understand.

Phil
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:49 PM
  • John,

Have a read through this thread, it's an identical laptop/problem and includes quite a few checks that might give an explanation.

Colin
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Colin

Interesting - how did you know my middle name?

I have read the thread and agree it looks like the same problem. I am not however ready to re-install Vista at this stage so I think I will "bear all this in mind" if in the future I actually have to restore! I have found some earlier versions of the Broadcom drivers on my machine (Dell restore partition) but these did not work either.

Thanks for your help - let's hope I don't need to do a system install any time soon!

Phil
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Hi Phil,
    the other option is to connect the disk to another client system as secondary drive and run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on that client. This gives you the same functionality as the Recovery environment, but uses the network and mass storage drivers of the running OS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Olaf

Thanks. I think that was what Colin was proposing above. Anyway, I don't currently have to restore but will bear advice all this in mind if I ever have to.

Thanks again.

Phil
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:48 PM
  • I just had the same problem.
    In my case the drivers folder contained the right drivers for / from my Vista 64 client, but the restore environment is 32 bit, so the drivers wouldn't work.
    I had to download the 32 bit version of thge network driver and manually put it onto the USB stick, then it worked.

Regards, Martin
    Friday, November 28, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Martin

Good point - I will try this at the end of the week when I get home.

Phil
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:23 AM
  • Excellent - 32bit drivers worked fine. It's a shame that WHS doesn't point this out when creating the driver folder!

Thanks for your help.

Phil
    • Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Friday, December 5, 2008 2:57 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2008 2:56 AM