(1) I'm new here and (2) do Band-in-a-Box styles work with this program? (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• Notes_Norton posted on 01-15-2009 9:47 AM

Hi,

My name is Bob Norton and I just discovered this. Since 1992 I've been writing add-on (aftermarket) style and fake disks for Band-in-a-Box. I haven't downloaded the program yet, because I want to ask a question first....

Will Band-in-a-Box styles work with this program?

I have a number of aftermarket styles available for purchase here http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html and if my styles actually do work with this program, I'd like to become an active member of the community.

Since I am pressed for time, I'll make this offer. The first 3 people to go to my style demo page, select one style, and e-mail me will get a free style as long as you let me know if it works with Songsmith or not. My e-mail address is on my website http://www.nortonmusic.com with one of those squiggly letter things to try to defeat the spammers.

Notes

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:26 PM

Answers

• kaaskop replied on 01-24-2009 12:31 AM

Hey Bob,

I think I'm entitled to a free styles disk, since I'm the one who made you aware of this potential gold mine on the Yahoo BiaB.list.

I didn't apply for a free download, because I can't buy SongSmith in Australia yet.

Cheers,

Udo 

All replies

• Odieman replied on 01-15-2009 5:02 PM

To quote Peter Gannon on the PG Music web site (do the initials seem familiar ) 

"Yes, the style format is the same, so you should be able to use your existing BB styles in SongSmith, and vice versa"

• dmorris replied on 01-15-2009 6:46 PM

Thanks for your interest!

Yes indeed, the styles were provided by PG Music, and all Band in a Box styles are compatible with Songsmith.  Just copy the style (.sty) files into the "Styles" directory inside your Songsmith directory, and Songsmith will see them right away (you won't even need to re-start Songsmith).

Thanks!

-Dan

• Notes_Norton replied on 01-16-2009 8:47 AM

That's great!

Since about 1992 I've been writing third party styles (after-market styles) for Band-in-a-Box. My styles have been written up and recommended in Electronics Musician, Keyboard and other trade magazines with a recommendation to buy. My styles are currently being used in over 100 different countries on the planet and I am looking at this program to expand my musical horizons.

I'll be purchasing songsmith next week (as a working musician doing one-nighters in Florida, I am very busy on the weekends).

Nobody has requested any of the free styles as outlined by my first post in this thread, so the offer still stands.

The first three people to do th following will get a free style.

1. Go to my demo page 
    2. Pick out a style you would like to have
    3. E-mail me your choice (there is an e-mail link on every page of my website)
    4. I'll send you the style free of charge

I'm looking forward to becoming an active member of this community and hope I can become a worthy contributor.

Notes

• Notes_Norton replied on 01-16-2009 11:57 AM

One free style gone, two more to give away.

Notes

• LawTunes replied on 01-16-2009 12:52 PM

I just requested one.  I've bought a number of Bob's styles, and they are consistently excellent.

• Notes_Norton replied on 01-16-2009 3:12 PM

LawTunes:
    <...> I've bought a number of Bob's styles, and they are consistently excellent.

Thanks for the kind words!

Two gone, one to go.

Hey, this is fun!

Notes

• Notes_Norton replied on 01-23-2009 10:33 AM

OK, the third one is gone, the style give-away is over now (I feel like Santa Claus now ) If you want one of my styles now, or to just listen to the demo files, go to http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html

I've downloaded the program, installed it, and found my styles work fine with it.

I'm having a good time playing with songsmith, and I think it can be a good scratch pad and idea generator for people like myeslf who sometimes need something different to jar their minds. Often I fall into some of the same patterns that I use in all the popular songs that I play in my duo, and this helps me "get out of the box". 

I'm not a serious songwriter, but mostly a performer (sax, wind synthesizer, guitar, flute, keyboard, bass, drums), improvisor (rock, country, blues and light jazz), arranger, and style writer for Band-in-a-Box and now for Songsmith. I've also written styles for other auto-accompaniment devices, but it was for contract work and I'm not at liberty to divulge the names.

Thanks to the 3 people who "won" the free styles, and for the feedback.

Notes

• kaaskop replied on 01-24-2009 12:31 AM

Hey Bob,

I think I'm entitled to a free styles disk, since I'm the one who made you aware of this potential gold mine on the Yahoo BiaB.list.

I didn't apply for a free download, because I can't buy SongSmith in Australia yet.

Cheers,

Udo