Hard drive failed and cannot remove RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I had an external firewire drive fail and I am unable to remove the drive.  It shows in the pool as missing and when I try to remove the drive I get a message that states file conflicts prevented the drive from being removed.  It says I should reconnect the drive and then try again.  The drive is fried...  I cannot reconnect it.  I tried restoring the WHS (none HP) and everything went fine except the error (critical health) is still there.  How can I get the drive removed from the pool, without the actual drive being available any longer.

Willy
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:18 PM

Answers

• Billy The Kidd said:

Thanks again for the response.  Ran the above mentioned but that did not fix the problem.

Willy

I believe the only supported option left is to perform a New Installation.  First, you should pull all of the drives from the server, connect them to another PC, and backup the data stored on those drives to another location (just to be on the safe side).  You can pull the data stored in the network shares from those drives by browsing to x:\DE\shares (where x is the drive letter assigned by the computer you connect the drive to).  NOTE:  DE is a hidden folder so you must change your viewing options to show hidden files and folders.  Once you have everything copied, perform the New Installation.  Once it's done, copy all of your data back to the server.  (Or, if you're sure you have copied everything that is stored on the primary drive, you could disconnect all of the secondary drives and do your new install to just that one primary drive, then connect one of the secondary drives to the server, but don't add it to the storage pool.  Instead, logon to the server desktop and copy all of the data from that drive to the network shares.  Once that's done, then add the drive to the storage pool.)

The other option (which is not supported, not recommended, and could cause you more harm than good) would be to make some changes to the server registry (which is not for the faint at heart)....
    Monday, January 5, 2009 4:00 AM

All replies

• Billy The Kidd said:

Hello, I had an external firewire drive fail and I am unable to remove the drive.  It shows in the pool as missing and when I try to remove the drive I get a message that states file conflicts prevented the drive from being removed.  It says I should reconnect the drive and then try again.  The drive is fried...  I cannot reconnect it.  I tried restoring the WHS (none HP) and everything went fine except the error (critical health) is still there.  How can I get the drive removed from the pool, without the actual drive being available any longer.

Willy

Does it list the specific files that are causing the file conflicts?  Have you ever had the file conflict notification before the drive failed?  Did you try rebooting the server (without the drive connected obviously) then remove it in the Console?
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  It does not list the files, just a window with a red x and the statement File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal with a retry and cancel button on the window.  I have retried several times and get the same window.  No notifications before the failure and have rebooted several times with the drive removed with no luck.  Also as I stated did a restore server from the original disk.

Willy
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Billy The Kidd said:

Thanks for the response.  It does not list the files, just a window with a red x and the statement File conflicts prevented the hard drive removal with a retry and cancel button on the window.  I have retried several times and get the same window.  No notifications before the failure and have rebooted several times with the drive removed with no luck.  Also as I stated did a restore server from the original disk.

Willy

You can try the Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool.  It's written by a fellow WHS user (catsaver) and it's unsupported, but other people have used it and it helped them with broken tombstones (which is the most common reason for the File Conflict error message).
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Thanks again for the response.  Ran the above mentioned but that did not fix the problem.

Willy
    Monday, January 5, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Billy The Kidd said:

Thanks again for the response.  Ran the above mentioned but that did not fix the problem.

Willy

I believe the only supported option left is to perform a New Installation.  First, you should pull all of the drives from the server, connect them to another PC, and backup the data stored on those drives to another location (just to be on the safe side).  You can pull the data stored in the network shares from those drives by browsing to x:\DE\shares (where x is the drive letter assigned by the computer you connect the drive to).  NOTE:  DE is a hidden folder so you must change your viewing options to show hidden files and folders.  Once you have everything copied, perform the New Installation.  Once it's done, copy all of your data back to the server.  (Or, if you're sure you have copied everything that is stored on the primary drive, you could disconnect all of the secondary drives and do your new install to just that one primary drive, then connect one of the secondary drives to the server, but don't add it to the storage pool.  Instead, logon to the server desktop and copy all of the data from that drive to the network shares.  Once that's done, then add the drive to the storage pool.)

The other option (which is not supported, not recommended, and could cause you more harm than good) would be to make some changes to the server registry (which is not for the faint at heart)....
    Monday, January 5, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Thanks, I am in the process of doing that now.  I have almost 1tb of data to copy off the server. 

Willy
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Thanks again.... I did do the reg edit and ta da... all is well and green now.  I just went through the registry and removed any reference to the drive and rebooted.  Drive is now no longer showing in the pool.  Thanks again, no I do not have to reinstall and loose all of my backups.  I have some one per week which I lock and therefore keep and I have backups going all the way back to Jan of 08. 

Willy
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:39 AM
  • Hi Willy,
    at least you should try to open some backups to verify, that they are still really good.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:53 AM
  • Great suggestion... Did just that and all is well.  I restored one of my pc from a backup from may and then restored it again from just a few days ago.. All appears to be good.  Thanks Olaf

Willy
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:42 AM