Task Email Alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a situation with task email alerts.

The update appears to be coming through to users, with lots of tasks showing on the email, even though they may only be assigned to one task in the plan.

For example, adding my email to a dummy task presents me with an email later on basically suggesting loads of tasks have been updated listing them all out - even though I am not expecting to see them.

Is this normal? Should I not just see the task I am assigned on? Also, many of the tasks have definately not been updated to our knowledge and many are 100% complete already?

Thanks

Rob

Rob Hardy
    Monday, August 22, 2011 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi

It seems that the August 2011 CU will fix the issue where Completed tasks go out to users in the email alert. I will recomment if it doesn't.

Regards

Rob

Rob Hardy
    • Marked as answer by EPM Tester Friday, September 2, 2011 2:20 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:19 PM

All replies

• this may be because of email and alert setting.you can edit alert and reminder after going pwa site-->my personal settings -->email and alerts settings.
    Gaur
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Hi, we are expecting it to just email out tasks which have been editing that are relevant to that user though - not have the user recieve an alert containing loads of tasks that havent been updating/or they arent even assigned too
    Rob Hardy
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Instruct your end users to disable the "when my tasks are modified" alert.  It does not work as you would intuitively expect, it will email the user any time the project is republished even if the user's specific tasks have no changes.
    Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA****PMO & Project Server Admin
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:58 PM
  •  can you check with your PM that in "status Manager" field of your project plan your name is not there.there may be the possibility that you guys name is associated in that field for the tasks.
    Gaur
    Monday, August 22, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi unfortunately the contact would like to know why the users are getting the alerts - for example he changed one of the users email accounts to my emails and assigned me to just one task, yet the updates I am getting show me a whole host of tasks (that havent even been updated or maybe complete)

Rob Hardy
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Anyone got any ideas as to whats happening?
    Rob Hardy
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Rather than them adding your email address to an existing resource on an existing project what happens when you create a new test project plan with the following:

• 2 tasks
    • 2 resources on the team, one being your own account and another example resource
    • add your account to one task and the other resource to the other task (one resource assignment per task)
    • Save and publish
    • Check your email to confirm what tasks are displayed in the email, it should only be one task using the steps above.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Hi Paul

I tried that and it did point it to be plan specific.

In the end, I set the publish column to all 'No' then published the plan. After this I reversed that and it for now, seems to have resolved the issue! I hope.

Regards

Rob

Rob Hardy
    • Marked as answer by EPM Tester Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:50 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by EPM Tester Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:24 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Actually the issue has reoccured, so maybe not resolved as expected. So the email alert observations after the plan is edited and published are as follows;

• Tasks are appearing in the 'Your work assignments below have changed' that haven't been changed
    • Tasks are showing with 0% complete that are 100% complete in the plan (even after another republish)
    • Some task finish dates are incorrect (one task for example is 1 day in the plan, but the alert is showing it as 3 years long)

Any other ideas?

Rob Hardy
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Hi Rob,

No quick answers – and the % will relate to the assignment for the individual and not the task – so looks like there is some bad data behind the scenes which makes it look like there are some unfinished assignments on the task.

Usually to troubleshoot this kind of issue a SQL Profiler trace will help to identify what query is selecting the resources to get e-mails – and then you can see why it is selecting them,

Save for Sharing would be a better way than save as XML to potentially clean up the data – but you would need to be on June 2011 CU to avoid an issue with GUIDs being changed.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Hi

It seems that the August 2011 CU will fix the issue where Completed tasks go out to users in the email alert. I will recomment if it doesn't.

Regards

Rob

Rob Hardy
    • Marked as answer by EPM Tester Friday, September 2, 2011 2:20 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 2:19 PM