Configuring Media Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm something of a beginner with my Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm configuring the Media Player so I can watch videos on my SONY TV from my HP Proliant. The icon for Windows Media Player on the Proliant turns up on my TV, and the sample video from the server worked fine.

I have a few questions:

How can I tell where the Media Server looks for video files? I found that I could add my server's F: drive, but I couldn't see a way of refining WHERE on  the F: drive it would look. Maybe this is because I shared the whole of the F: drive?

I know I could just add my new videos into the same server directory as the sample video, but I'd like each user (i.e. my wife) to be able to add their own videos, without giving them write access to the server "Videos" folder.

Once I have the server using the right set of directories, do I have to do anything after adding a new video into one of  the directories?  I came across a "Media Refresh" control (or something like that) which made some newly added videos aprear on my TV. Would they have appeared automatically if I'd had the patience?

Steve Swift

Sunday, January 25, 2015 9:48 AM

Answers

• In the Dashboard, Server Settings, Media, Customize to set which Folders are included to be streamed by the Media Server. All Users will have access to view these files.

Not sure how you shared the whole of your F: Drive using the Dashboard which is what you should be using.

Then in the Dashboard, Users, Properties, Shared Folders to prevent people writing to Folders you do not want them to write to.

The Server then serves up the files in those folders, what your TV sees is a function of the TV software but they should eventually just show up.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, January 25, 2015 12:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Swiftie Sunday, January 25, 2015 6:56 PM
    Sunday, January 25, 2015 12:27 PM

All replies

• In the Dashboard, Server Settings, Media, Customize to set which Folders are included to be streamed by the Media Server. All Users will have access to view these files.

Not sure how you shared the whole of your F: Drive using the Dashboard which is what you should be using.

Then in the Dashboard, Users, Properties, Shared Folders to prevent people writing to Folders you do not want them to write to.

The Server then serves up the files in those folders, what your TV sees is a function of the TV software but they should eventually just show up.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, January 25, 2015 12:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Swiftie Sunday, January 25, 2015 6:56 PM
    Sunday, January 25, 2015 12:27 PM
  • Not sure how you shared the whole of your F: Drive using the Dashboard which is what you should be using.

I'm an old Windows Command Line/Control Panel/Settings/Properties recidivist

I'll try to use the dashboard, but like the coarse sailor who, in an emergency, shouts "for **** sake, GO LEFT!", I tend to go for the basic desktop operations first.

I find the dashboard a little alien, perhaps because I use it infrequently.

I've used the dashboard to add "Steve's Space" and "Looby's Space" to the media player, so it just remains for me to put some video files into my "Videos" directory to see what happens.

Steve Swift

Sunday, January 25, 2015 6:55 PM
  • If the Dashboard doesn't give you the ability to do something, there is no guarantee that an alternative method will work as much as you might want it to!

Sunday, January 25, 2015 7:25 PM