cannot restore from backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running MS 2005 v.14.0.120.730 on windows 7 on my main computer with no trouble and backing up to an external HD.

My main computer HD has now developed a fault and I am trying to restore from my external disk onto my spare computer running Windows XP svce pack 2. I have

I am in the UK  - cannot restore and am getting the following message...

Money cannot locate "E:\Money Backup/cjr2005" or cannot open it, possibly because it is read only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed you will need to click OK and open your most recent backup file. If the file is being used by another application close it in the other application and click OK to try again"

- I have tried copying the file to MS Money on my hard disk and restoring from there ....same result

Can you help please ? the backup files are not read only nor write protected

crossangle
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:47 PM

All replies

• You need an update to Money 2005 14.0.120.1105.

See Money 2005 UK - QFE2. This will update your Money 2005 14.0.120.730, and will do a clean install on its own when you next need to reinstall.

You do not need to restore from your backup file. Just copy your .mny file to the new installation and open it with Money.

For future questions about Money, see http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/money/threads.

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Thank you DominicP - have downloaded the file and now Money2005 has restored from my backup file. When my main computer/HD went phut all data etc., was unavailable so I did not have a .mny file only .mbf on my external hard disk. Happily the download has updated the programme and it read and opened the backup file.

When I get my main computer/HDD back I will need to reload Money to it. My MS Money 2005 programme CD is an original bought in CD but I do not see how I can update that CD for future installs. Obviously in the short term I can load from my original and then download the patch file but ...what about future installs .Can I copy MS Money in its revised/updated form from my present hard disk to a CD and use that for future installs ?  If so how do I do that ? In the past when I have tried to copy bought in programmes onto a plain CD they have never worked.

As you will gather I am not too expert a computer user.

Your help and advice is much appreciated

crossangle
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:55 AM
  • The UK Money 2005 QFE2 download is a complete version of UK Money 2005 version 14.0.120.1105.

You should use that file to install Money in the future and NOT your original retail CD. Obviously, you should ensure that your backup stategy includes that Money install executable.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:13 AM
  • OK thanks - understood.

For future installs ..... Do I copy my existing (now correct version of Money) from my hard disc ?  If so , is there anything particular I should do when copying or is it just a standard copy CD function ?

Thanks again for all your help and advice

crossangle
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:23 AM
  • No, you cannot just copy the Money folder from Program Files to install the product. This is because when Money is installed (like any other product) additional information is written into a special windows file called the registry.

When you run the QFE2 executable mentioned above, it is that process that both creates the Money entries witihin the Program Files folder AND updates the registry with the additional information.   

Regarding backups, what backup strategy do you currently use ?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Thanks for info AshleyST...Am I correct in assuming then, that I cannot now hold an MS Money 2005 programme disk within my possession and can only now download it ?from the internet ? I see in other posts  regarding this new element there is reference to keeping a copy as the current link/path may change at some time in the future

My backup strategy is to backup my files onto my external hard disk ....MSM set to backup on each Exit

crossangle
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:31 PM
  • DominicP & AshleyST

Sorry both. ,  DominicP has already answered my last question to you AshleyST....My spare computer is now playing up !!  I am not getting consistent notification of responses - my email programme I think

Thank you to both of you for your helpful advice

crossangle
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Thanks for info AshleyST...Am I correct in assuming then, that I cannot now hold an MS Money 2005 programme disk within my possession and can only now download it ?from the internet ? I see in other posts  regarding this new element there is reference to keeping a copy as the current link/path may change at some time in the future

My backup strategy is to backup my files onto my external hard disk ....MSM set to backup on each Exit

crossangle

1. Burn the installation file to a CDR disk. Keep that in a safe place. You can later use that disk for a reinstall.

2. Keep more than one backup file vintage. Suppose something bad happens to your file. Then, when you exit, you don't want to overwrite your only backup file with a backup of the problem file, do you? Think what would happen if you had a power surge that wiped out both your computer's drive and your external backup drive. Keep a copy to removable media, such as a USB flash drive, periodically.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:03 PM