Window Home Server does not recognize your user account RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my WHS from an OEM so it was configured and setup when I received it.  There are two accounts:  Bill (me) and Guest.  When I reboot a client most of the time I get the message "Window Home Server does not recognize your user account.  Create a Windows Home Server user account for easy access to yur home server".

I an log in to the console just fine and everything works OK.  Why am getting this balloon message in the system tray?

Thanks!

Best Regards, Bill Artman Kansas City - USA
    Friday, September 19, 2008 3:48 AM

Answers

• In order to fuction seamlessly, Windows Home Server expects that you will access the server using an account on the local PC which matches exactly an account on the server. If you're logged in using the account "Bill", then there should be an account "Bill" on the server as well, with the same password. (Windows Home Server has a way to synchronize passwords between clients, BTW.) You will see the error you describe if you're logged in to a PC with the account "Nancy", and there's no "Nancy" on the server.

If you have an ID on the server which seems to match the ID you're using on your computer, but you get this type of error, you probably renamed the user on your client PC at some point. You should take a look at the steps in this FAQ post to see if that will resolve the issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 19, 2008 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Bill,
    the console login is the Administrator login for Windows Home Server.
    In the console you have the section User accounts.
    Here should exist (or be created) a user account, which has the same name as the users login name on your client PC (which is not mandatory your real name) and the same password.
    This account is necessary to access the shared folders on the server, read and store files on them.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 19, 2008 6:27 AM
  • In order to fuction seamlessly, Windows Home Server expects that you will access the server using an account on the local PC which matches exactly an account on the server. If you're logged in using the account "Bill", then there should be an account "Bill" on the server as well, with the same password. (Windows Home Server has a way to synchronize passwords between clients, BTW.) You will see the error you describe if you're logged in to a PC with the account "Nancy", and there's no "Nancy" on the server.

If you have an ID on the server which seems to match the ID you're using on your computer, but you get this type of error, you probably renamed the user on your client PC at some point. You should take a look at the steps in this FAQ post to see if that will resolve the issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 19, 2008 11:58 AM

• Thanks - I will take a look at what you said.

Have a great week!

Best Regards, Bill Artman Kansas City - USA
    Friday, September 19, 2008 1:30 PM